English Language Pathways
There are various ways for international students to be considered for admission based on their language proficiency and readiness to pursue full-time enrollment.
Undergraduate English Language Proficiency Requirements
RWU Direct Admission
Students that meet one of the requirements below will be considered for direct admission to their program of study or major.
Minimum Score Requirements
- TOEFL that is 79 IBT/550 PBT/213 CBT or greater
- IELTS that is a 6.5 or greater
- Duolingo score of 105 or greater
Test scores can be waived if the student meets one of the following requirements:
- The student is a citizen of a country where English is the primary language
- Two years of standard English with a B or better in a high school where English is the primary language used in the classroom
- A score of 550 or greater on the EBRW section of the new SAT
- A score of 20 or greater on the ACT English Writing Score
- A score of 6 or greater in IB English SL or HL
- AP English score of 5
- A-Level English score of B or higher
- GTEC score of 1200 or higher
- Satisfactory completion of an agreed upon program from a partnered ESL program
RWU Bridge Program
For those international students whose test scores indicate that they would benefit from additional English support, we offer the RWU Bridge Program. This program allows students with advance level scores to take appropriate English courses in addition to their academic courses, supplemented by English tutoring in preparation for taking a full-time academic course load. The courses are college-level English, for college credit, and do not take any additional time or funding. This program is for non-native English speaking students interested in RWU's undergraduate program.
Minimum Score Requirements:
- TOEFL that is between 61-79 IBT/ 500-550PBT / 173-213 CBT
- IELTS that is between 5.0 and 6.0
Conditional Admission to Roger Williams University
International students applying to RWU with English language test scores below qualifying standards, or with no scores submitted, can be considered for conditional admission. A student would then have one year from the time they are accepted to complete an ESL program from one of our preferred partners, or provide us with the required test scores necessary to qualify for the Bridge Program or for Direct Admission.
Our ESL partners:
Johnson & Wales University, Providence, English Language & Culture Academy
274 Pine St.
Providence, RI 02903
Boston International Academy
1642 Commonwealth Ave
Boston, MA 02135
Center for English Language & Orientation Programs (CELOP)
890 Commonwealth Ave. 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02215
The New England School of English
36 John F. Kennedy St
Cambridge, MA 02138
1105 Commonwealth Ave. Suite 202
Boston, MA 02215