Visa & I-20

Most international students will need an F-1 visa to study in the United States. In order to receive an F-1 visa to study at Roger Williams University, you will first need to be accepted to the university and make the required deposit to reserve your place in the upcoming class. Once you have been accepted and made your deposit to RWU, we will begin working with you on the required steps to receive your Form I-20. The Form I-20 is needed to make a visa appointment with the local US Consulate or Embassy.

To receive the Form I-20 you must complete the following:

  1. Complete the I-20 Request Form
  2. Complete the International Declaration of Finance Form
  3. Send a color scan/PDF of a recent bank statement in English to show proof of funding that covers one full year of all tuition, fees, and living expenses.
  4. Send a clear color scan/PDF of the identity page of your passport
  5. NEW as of March 1, 2020 - Copy of your Birth Certificate (If your passport does not list your city of birth).

For students transferring from another high school, university or from an English language center within the United States, you will also need to submit the three following documents:

  1. A color scan/PDF of your current F-1 visa
  2. A color scan/PDF of your previous Form I-20 (Pages 1 and 2)
  3. Completed F-1 Transfer Verification Form, please note your current Designated School Official (DSO) must fill out the bottom portion.

Documents should be submitted via email and attached PDF's to

However, documents can also be mailed to the following address:

Roger Williams University
Office of International Admission
1 Old Ferry Rd.
Bristol, R.I. 02809  

Once we receive all of the required documents, we will be able to produce the Form I-20. The Form I-20 is needed for an international student to request an appointment with the local US Embassy or Consulate for their F-1 visa interview. All students are also responsible for the required SEVIS fee required prior to the interview. For more information, please see our page on the visa application process.

For more information about immigration and support services for international students, please check out the International Student Services page.