Visa & I-20
Most international students will need an F-1 visa to study in the United States. In order to get an F-1 visa, you will need to bring the following to the U.S. Embassy in your home country: a Form I-20, a passport, proof of financial support, receipts of payment of the visa and SEVIS fee, visa application, and a passport photograph.
In order to receive the Form I-20 you must be an admitted student and complete the following:
- Pay the $200 tuition deposit, and, if applicable, the $350 housing deposit
- Complete the I-20 Request Form
- Send a copy of the identity page of your passport
- Complete the International Student Financial Statement, or bank statement (in English) with letter from parents and guardian stating they will cover all costs of your education. Proof of funding includes tuition, fees, and living expenses. Scholarship recipients may subtract the scholarship amount. Only original financial documents will be accepted.
For students transferring from another university or high school in the United States or an English language institution, you will also need to complete the following:
- Copy of your current F-1 visa
- Copy of your previous Form I-20s
- Complete the top part of the F-1 Transfer Verification Form and then have your current Designated School Official fill out the rest and fax it to 401-254-3557.
All forms and deposits should be submitted to:
Roger Williams University
Office of International Admission
1 Old Ferry Rd.
Bristol, RI 02809
phone: 1- 401-254-3500
For more information about immigration and also support services available to international students, check out the Intercultural Center’s website.