Tax Information


All RWU students enrolled in credit bearing courses during a calendar year will receive a 1098T tax form.

The 1098T for calendar year 2018 will be mailed to the student’s address on record no later than January 31, 2019. Only qualified amounts paid with an invoice date during the calendar year January 1, 2018 thru December 31, 2018 will be included on the 2018 1098T form.

Important Changes to IRS Regulatory Reporting for 1098Ts

2017 1098Ts—

2017 1098Ts reported Amounts Billed in Box 2 of the form. Box 1 of the form was blank. Amounts Billed are limited to Qualified Education Expenses during the calendar year. Qualified Education Expenses are tuition and certain related expenses required for enrollment. (Room and Board are not considered qualified expenses.)

In preparation for regulatory changes in 2018, we moved the billing date of the spring 2018 semester to January 1, 2018. This assisted students and families in receiving any potential tax credit in the same year as enrollment.

2018 1098Ts—

Effective 2018 the IRS is mandating all universities report Tuition Paid in a calendar year in Box 1 of the 1098T form. The amount paid is capped by Qualified Education Expenses in the same calendar year (see explanation above).

Students should refer all tax-related questions to their own tax counsel. Students may find additional information from IRS Publication 970, Tax benefits for Higher Education:

Please email Rosa Greber in the Bursar's Office at if you do not receive your 2017 1098T. Please include the student's name and ID#. The 1098T can only be mailed to the student’s home address currently on record in the Registrar’s Office. We are not allowed to FAX a 1098T. Students may pick up copies of the 1098T in the Bursar’s Office.

IRS Form 8300

RWU is required by law to report receipt of more than $10,000 in cash over a course of any 12 month period to the IRS by filing an IRS Form 8300. Cash (currency), Money Orders, Cashier’s/Treasurer's checks and Traveler’s checks are considered cash payments.

Personal and corporate checks are not considered cash payments. Students will be notified by the University Bursar’s Office if a Form 8300 has been filed.