Other Grant Options

Outside Scholarships

Any outside scholarship that a student receives will be applied first to any unmet financial need. If there is no unmet financial need, we will first reduce federal work study, then loan(s), and lastly grant money. Most financial aid professionals and guidance counselors recommend students use FastWeb when searching for outside scholarships online. This website is free for students and does a nationwide search for scholarships. Libraries, a parent’s employer, your guidance office, and community organizations are other good places to inquire.

All legitimate scholarship searches should be free and should not ask for any credit card or bank information. If you are unsure of the legitimacy of a scholarship offer or search, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of Financial Aid or the Better Business Bureau.


The ROTC Four-Year High School Scholarship is for high school students planning on attending a four-year college program. Contact your high school academic advisor or campus Military Science department for more information.


  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Be between the ages of 17 and 26
  • Have a high school GPA of at least 2.50
  • Have a high school diploma or equivalent
  • Score a minimum of 1000 on the SAT (math/verbal) or 19 on the ACT (excluding the required writing test scores)
  • Meet physical standards (see following link for details) https://www.goarmy.com/content/dam/goarmy/downloaded_assets/pdfs/hs-scholarship-physical-assessment-17.pdf
  • Agree to accept a commission and serve in the Army on Active Duty or in a Reserve Component (Army Reserve or Army National Guard)

Your Commitment

  • An eight-year service commitment with the Army.
  • Serve full-time in the Army for four years and four years with the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR).
  • Selected Cadets may choose to serve part-time in the Army Reserve or Army National Guard while pursuing a civilian career

Apply Online For An Army ROTC Four-Year High School Scholarship

If you are applying for a scholarship, you first will need to create a MY GOARMY account. Once you create an account, you will be sent to the MY GOARMY Log In page. Once you can successfully login to MY GOARMY, you can use your newly created account information to login to the scholarship application site on the following link: https://hs.usarmyrotc.com/dana-na/auth/url_22/welcome.cgi

Educational Assistance for Veterans 

The Veterans Administration administers programs for veterans and service people seeking assistance for education or training. Veterans and service people who initially entered the military on or after January 1, 1977 may receive educational assistance under a contributory plan. A deferred payment plan is available for veterans enrolling full-time. Additional information regarding veterans' benefits, as well as college applications, may be obtained through the Roger Williams University Veterans Affairs Office.

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program)

RWU is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program and currently offers a total of 15 spots in the program at any one time; spots are not tied to an individual major, but the student must be enrolled as a full time day student.  The institution is required to approve spots to qualified applicants on a first-come, first-served basis. When all spots are being utilized, a spot will not be available until one of the students using a spot has graduated or left the institution.

In order to be approved for the program, applicants must:

  1. Already be officially accepted to RWU
  2. Submit an application to the Yellow Ribbon Program using the form below
  3. Submit a copy of a Certificate Eligibility showing 100% eligibility for the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill

Applicants cannot be approved until ALL of these conditions have been met; at this time, we are unable to approve an applicant unless an accompanying Certificate of Eligibility has been submitted. However, if an applicant has been admitted to RWU, a Yellow Ribbon Program application can be submitted without a Certificate of Eligibility, and the applicant will be placed on a waiting list. Once a valid Certificate of Eligibility is submitted, a spot will then be approved, provided that a spot is available and all necessary, valid documents have been submitted.

RWU Yellow Ribbon Program Application

For questions on the Yellow Ribbon Program, please contact Gina Rigby at grigby@rwu.edu or (401-254-3100).