New Student Resources

Health Services is an appointment-based clinic designed to manage acute episodic health problems and the flare up of chronic problems.  Students who become acutely ill or injured outside regular clinic hours should contact call Public Safety directly. Emergency Medical Technicians will assess the situation and will coordinate transportation to a local urgent care or emergency room for treatment if indicated. For non-emergency medical care after hours, Bristol Medical Center Walk-In Clinic is located 3.5 miles from campus. Transportation options available to get to the walk-in clinic include RWU zipcars or Uber Health

Health Services is available to all full-time undergraduate students (residents or commuters). Student fees cover the cost of clinic visits. Additional fees may apply for medications, lab work, immunizations, as well as referrals to specialty providers. Students do not have to have the Roger Williams University Health Insurance Plan to receive care at Health Services. Health insurance is necessary for some laboratory tests, diagnostic studies, local walk-in clinic visits, ambulance transport, emergency room visits and specialty provider referrals. These costs may be covered by the student’s own insurance carrier

Roger Williams University requires all full-time undergraduate students (residential and commuter) and all international students on an F-1 or  J-1 visa to have adequate health insurance coverage.  

Student Health Forms

Rhode Island State Law requires that all incoming undergraduate students submit health forms and a current immunizations record prior to arriving on campus. The following video will assist you in submitting the required Health Forms.

What other services are available at Health Services?

1. Health Services is available to help students obtain proper care, information, or accommodation information for a number of medical conditions. Health Services can provide you with recommendations for on-campus or local community resources that provide services for issues such as tuberculosis treatment, sexually transmitted infections, eating disorders, psychiatric care, or certain disabilities. We encourage students to contact us directly with their specific needs.

2. When a student has a chronic illness such as diabetes, epilepsy, eating disorders, etc., we will need a summary from your health care provider. In consultation with your health care provider, we can monitor you, as needed, while you are at school.

3. We can arrange for the transfer of your medical records/immunization records to another school.

4. Referrals can be made to the Roger Williams University Counseling Services.

5. Health education counseling and wellness information is offered to discuss diet, exercise, stress-management, and disease prevention.

What do I do if I am sick?

If you are not feeling well, you should call Health Services at 401-254-3156 to schedule an appointment with a health care provider or use online self-scheduling on the Health Services Patient Portal. The provider can diagnose and treat many of the common health problems of a student on a college campus. Our providers are licensed to prescribe prescription medications as well as dispense over the counter medications. A physician is also available on a part-time basis to see students with more complex problems.

Students will receive an email the evening before their scheduled appointment reminding them of their appointment date and time. If a student needs to cancel or change their appointment, they are advised to call Health Services as soon as possible. There will be a $25.00 charge for all no-shows.

Can a nurse come to my room if I am too sick to come to Health Services?

No, unfortunately we cannot send staff to the residence halls as that would leave the clinic understaffed. We can assist you with getting transportation via Public Safety or if you are too ill via ambulance to an emergency room.

What do I do about meals when I am too ill to go to the dining hall?

The ill student can have his friend or roommate pick up a takeout meal. The friend or roommate should bring the ill students ID card with them.

What do I do if I am too ill to attend classes?

It is the student’s responsibility to contact professors if unable to attend classes. It is preferred that you contact your professors as soon as practical to make arrangements to make-up work. If you wish to be seen by Health Services, you must call and schedule an appointment. Health care providers will not provide medical excuse notes or speak to professors regarding a student’s visit.

Can I get my immunization at Health Services?

Immunizations are available at Health Services for a fee. Health insurance does not cover the fee for immunizations. CVS is another option for obtaining immunizations.

Can I get a physical at Health Services?

We do offer routine well physicals and pre-participation sports physicals at Health Services for an additional fee. We highly encourage pre-participation sports physicals to be done prior to the start of the school year by the student’s primary care provider.

What if I have to have lab work or x-rays, or see another provider?

Most laboratory tests can and will be collected at Health Services. These specimens are then sent to an outside laboratory for processing. If you need x-rays or other diagnostic testing, they can be scheduled for you at local facilities. Laboratory tests sent for processing and diagnostic testing done outside of Health Services are billed to your insurance.

For student convenience, we will draw blood for tests ordered by outside providers. The student would need to bring in the order for the lab test. Lab results will be faxed to the ordering provider who would be responsible for managing the health concern.

What if I am referred to an outside specialist?

If you are referred to an outside specialist for consultation or further treatment, a list of specialists in the local area are available and you will be assisted with making the appointment. Referral appointments are billed to your insurance. If you are unable to keep the appointments, please notify Health Services and call the specialty clinic to cancel your appointment. Failure to cancel the appointment may result in a no-show fee.

IMPORTANT: Health insurances vary in their coverage for each of the above items. It is important to always present your insurance card and be aware that your insurance may or may not cover the cost of the test or appointment.

Is there a pharmacy at Health Services?

Pharmedix offers convenient in-office dispensing of several commonly used prescription medications for a nominal fee that cannot be billed to the student’s health insurance. If a student does not wish to use this service, the health care provider can put in an electronic prescription that can be filled at one of the local pharmacies. Many over the counter medications are available at Health Services for a nominal fee.

What if I have a disability?

Students having any medical or physical disability are encouraged to contact Health Services as early as possible before enrollment to ensure coordination of comprehensive medical care and adequate insurance protection. Accommodations are made in coordination with the Office of Student Accessibility Services

Does Health Services store medication?

Students who arrive to Roger Williams University with prescription medications are responsible for keeping those medications with them in their residence hall rooms. There is no available space to maintain student medications. We encourage students to bring a lock box with them to store their medication.

What first aid supplies should I bring with me?

Each student should come with some knowledge of how to treat minor medical problems. These are a few basic health care supplies we recommend students bring to campus:

• First aid kit containing band-aids, antibiotic ointment, acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Motrin), Robitussin DM, murine, allergy medications (Benadryl, Claritin, Zyrtec), decongestants (Sudafed), cough drops.

• Digital thermometer.

• Chemical cold pack to keep in freezer to reduce swelling.

• Chemical warm pack to heat in microwave for muscle ache.

• Any other home remedy that does not violate Residence Life Policies.