The Counseling Center currently offers sessions that are either in-person or are telemental health (remote) through synchronous video. The initial session is in a telemental health (remote) format for RWU students within Rhode Island and who are also new to the Counseling Center. Subsequent sessions for students can be in-person or continue remotely for students within Rhode Island. Staff and students may request wearing a mask for in-person appointments.
Call the Counseling Center at 401-254-3124 Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm to schedule an appointment. If you reach our voicemail when you call the Center, please leave your first and last name and cell phone number. If you do not leave this information for us, we may not be able to return your call. During the academic year, appointments are available to eligible full-time RWU students and are at no cost. During the summer months, appointments are available for eligible residential RWU students who are currently taking one or more classes on campus.
If you prefer to meet with a therapist off-campus in your local area, we suggest that you consult with your current provider and/or review both of these referral sites: Psychology Today and Zencare. You can also contact the Counseling Center at 401-254-3124 and leave us a voicemail with your contact information if you need assistance in locating an off-campus referral.
For an urgent concern on aweekday evening (after 5 pm), weekend, or a holiday, we have a service available to both RWU students themselves or any administrator, faculty, and staff member who wishes to consult about heightened emotional distress and/or a mental health difficulty of a student. Simply call the Counseling Center at 401-254-3124 after hours, follow the prompts, and you will be immediately connected to a professional who can provide crisis intervention when the Counseling Center is closed.
For EMERGENCIES, if you are on campus currently, call Public Safety (available 24/7/365) at 401-254-3333. If you are off-campus in the Bristol area, call East Bay Center (available 24/7/365) at 401-246-0700. Options for any student, regardless of where you live, include calling 911, calling 988, visiting a local hospital emergency room, and/or contacting any of these free resources available to you 24/7/365:
- Behavioral Health Link: 401-414-LINK (5465) [mental health concern, substance abuse, or suicide]
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741-741 [mental health concern or suicide]
- National Hopeline Network: 800-442-HOPE (4673) [suicide]
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 988 or 800-273-TALK (8255); TTY: 1-800-799-4889 [suicide]
- The Samaritans of Rhode Island: 401-272-4044 or 800-365-4044 [suicide]
- Asian LifeNet Hotline: 877-990-8585 [suicide; available in Cantonese, English, Fujianese, Japanese, Korean, or Mandarin]
- Persons of Color Crisis Text Line: Text STEVE to 741-741 [mental health concern]
- The Trans Lifeline: 877-565-8860 [available 10:00am-4:00am; mental health concern or suicide]
- Trevor LGBTQ Lifeline: 866-488-7386 or text START to 678-678 [suicide]
- Day One: 800-494-8100 [sexual assault]
- Disaster Distress Helpline: 800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 [coronavirus, mass violence incident, or natural disaster; available in over 100 languages]
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE (7233) or text LOVEIS to 1-866-331-9474 [domestic violence]
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 800-656-HOPE (4673) [sexual assault]
- Rhode Island Coalition Against Domestic Violence Helpline: 800-494-8100 [dating violence, domestic violence, sexual abuse, or stalking]
To report a bias incident at RWU, complete this form.
Additional on-line and off-campus resources are found here:
Resources for Black people
Resources for Allies
Resources for Everyone
On-campus support is found here:
This website is designed to provide Roger Williams University students, family members of students, administrators, faculty, and staff with easy access to information about Center services. For detailed information, please explore the options listed above on the left.