Required Training (CITI)
Instructions for CITI Certification Ethical Research with Human Subjects
All faculty, staff and students preparing to submit a protocol to the HSRB must first complete the online training course at www.citiprogram.org .
The Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) is the main ethical research certification program in the US. RWU subscribes to the service. CITI’s courses are designed to teach, test, and certify persons conducting research on human and animal subjects. The online program is also a good complement to teaching ethics to students.
It is recommended that faculty complete the course prior to assigning it. Students should leave sufficient time to complete the course.
What to do?
- Go the website: www.citiprogram.org
- Register as a new user (make sure to affiliate with Roger Williams University).
- Select the following module:
- Social & Behavioral Research, Basic Course
- Complete the exam. The Course is separated into modules to allow you to log in and out at your own pace. Completion of the course will require 4-6 hours.
- Students may print a copy of their certificate of completion and provide this to their professors.
- Faculty may request student certification confirmation from Professor Judith Platania.
- Each certificate is valid for three years.
Please be reminded that The Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) course will not meet the requirement. If the RCR course is the only course you have completed, you will be asked by the HSRB to complete the required course. If you experience any difficulty re-enrolling in a refresher course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional assistance.
Judith Platania (email@example.com) is the RWU Human Subjects Administrator for CITI. If you have questions on registering or using the CITI system please contact her.