Holiday Decorations and Portable Heaters
Holiday decorations can make the holiday season more festive, but they can also pose serious fire and life safety hazards if they are not carefully chosen and displayed. Be safe and enjoy your holiday season.
Please do not use the following items:
- Incense, candles, and oil lamps
- Live or cut trees and wreaths
- Artificial trees that are not fire retardant
- Fog machines
- Decorative lighting that is not UL (Underwriter Laboratory) listed
- Any other item not permitted per the Student Handbook
Please refrain from the following:
- Hanging items from or attaching items to the ceiling (including decorative lights)
- Hanging items from or attaching items to the outside of the building
- Blocking or covering windows
- Putting up posters, tapestries, or other decorations on room doors, egress doors, ceilings, corridors, and stairways.
- “Wrapping” doors ( No more than 25 percent of the door can be covered)
- Stringing together more than two strand of holiday lights
- Hanging decorative lights in the hallway
- Any other action not permitted per the Student Handbook
- Hanging items from any fire and life safety equipment including pull stations, extinguishers, sprinkler heads, etc
The following items are allowed if they meet the criteria listed here:
- Decorations that are fire retardant and are safely displayed – away from doors, windows, electrical equipment, sources of heat, and fire safety equipment (including pull stations, extinguishers, sprinkler heads, etc.).
- Decorative lights that are UL listed, in good condition, that are unplugged or turned off when the occupant leaves the room
- Please Review the Student Handbook and Portable Heater Policy for requirements regarding appliances, electrical devices and heat producing items.