About - Purchasing
The Purchasing Department handles and processes all major purchases for the University.
- To support the academic, administrative, and operational activities of the University by locating competitive sources of quality goods and services which meet the University's high standards.
- To negotiate favorable terms, conditions and pricing, and to arrange for delivery when and where needed.
- To monitor supplier compliance with purchase order contracts and resolve discrepancies.
- To contribute to the financial wellness of the University by practicing careful and diligent management of purchases and assets through the active participation in planning and implementation of sound financial and ethical decisions.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Purchasing Department accomplishes its mission by carrying out its duties and responsibilities through:
- Obtaining bids to realize maximum value from the expenditure of University funds in the purchase of materials and services.
- Coordinating the purchase of materials and services for all functions of the University.
- Providing value added services to the University by constantly striving to find new and better products, sources of supply, and better ways of meeting the needs of the using departments.
- Maintaining liaisons with the vendors that service the University.
- Developing University purchasing standards based upon value analysis, economies of scale, total acquisition costs, and budget limitations.
- Assisting University departments in locating substitute materials in cases of emergencies, material shortages, strikes, or other external circumstances.
- Protecting the University against unfair or unethical trade practices and unrealistic or exorbitant price increases.
- Expediting, when requested and warranted, the delivery of goods and services.
- Maintaining the master vendor and commodity list.
- Directing the accounting, transfer, trade, and/or sale of University property assets.