Monitor - School of Architecture, Art, and Historic Preservation (SAAHP)
Maintain Photography Lab, Production Lab (including laser cutters), and other Shops and Labs as needed.
1. Photo Lab:
At each shift check that:
- Tacking Irons are unplugged
- Mounting Press is turned off
- Dryer is turned off
- Darkroom lights are turned off
- Water is not running
- All enlargers are turned off
- All trays of chemistry are covered
Photo Lab 118
- Use sponge and water to clean all chemical residue (white discoloration) off every surface (walls, rotary door, sink, measuring cups, counter tops
- Clear off countertops and light table of any loose objects
- Clean out nozzles and overflow trays
- Check that Photo Flo is stocked. Prepare more if necessary
- Check that nitrile gloves in photo lab are stocked
- Print transfer trays need to be cleaned, rinsed, and left to dry, then stored in the darkroom
- Wipe down outside of monitor, scanner, mouse, and keyboard with Clorox wipes
- Check that timers, print dryer, and dry mounter are OFF (unless they are actively in use)
Photo Lab Darkroom 118A
- Use sponge and water to clean all chemical residue (white discoloration) off every surface.
- Discard exhausted chemistry from trays in the sinks.
- Fixer and used Fixer Remover go into Waste Storage Drum
- All other chemistry goes down the drain
- Unused Fixer remover (for example from overflow tray) can go down drain
- Remove scraps of photo paper or any other loose objects from sinks
- Enlarger Stations
- Check that each station has a working bulb. Replace bulbs that do not work (list of Enlarger Bulbs below). Contact Studio Technician (Dan) when stocks of bulbs are low
- Each station needs a negative carrier, working easel (stored on the lower shelf) and a grain focuser. Clean grain focuser with a monitor wipe
- Consolidate Chemistry as needed:
- Remove nozzle from old container. Clean nozzle, put nozzle on new container, put plug from new container on old container, and discard old container
- Consolidate partially empty container of the same chemical into one container
- Safety glasses and apron required when working with chemistry
- Emergency Spill Kit in black drum on the left of darkroom stored with label facing out
- Bin of cleaning supplies under 2nd sink: Clorox wipes, monitor wipes, dish gloves and sponges
2. Production Lab
Weekly Major Clean of Laser Cutters:
- Vacuum around APC backup power supply
- Vacuum front of APC
- Vacuum vents (2 on right, 4 on back, 2 underneath)
- Clean and inspect optics as outlined below
- Remove back sweep air assist and clean with warm soapy water
- Wipe carriage with soapy water solution (spray bottle) or Windex
- Clean rollers on X-axis track with Q-tip until Q-tip is clean
- Move carriage on X- axis, listen for any clicking or other noise. Inspect for source of noise
- Clean under belts on two Y-axis using dry toothbrush. Do this before vacuuming and wiping to loosen dust. Clean any other nooks and crannies with dry toothbrush.
- Clean roller bearings on two Y-axis
- Vacuum all dust and soot off of every surface inside and out including glass window
- Wipe all dust and soot off of every surface inside and out including glass window
- Remove honeycomb bed. Vacuum all dust, soot, and material scraps. Wipe soot off of all surfaces.
- Vacuum inside ULS while the honey comb bed is removed
- To replace honeycomb bed:
- Put honeycomb bed in place, but do not push it all the way back
- Loosen 2 large thumbscrews on the side of the plenum (at back of honeycomb bed)
- Then push plenum and honeycomb bed gently into place
- The plenum will adjust to their correct position
- Slide the honeycomb bed back out, without changing the plenum position, and tighten the two thumb screws.
- Slide the honeycomb bed back into place
Daily Optic Inspection of Laser Cutters:
- Four optics: lens and mirror in carriage, 45 degree mirror on left side, and beam window at back left
- Clean optics with lens cleaner on a Q-tip, clean the lens from the center outward
- Clean plate around optics
- Clean entire carriage
- Clean air assist without removing
- Let lens cleaner dry, look closely at clean glass, there should be no streaks and smudges
- Check that the small hole at back left of carriage is cleaned out.
3. Other Tasks:
- Assist in installation and de-installation of exhibitions
- Check and restock first aid kits and nitrile gloves
- Throw away scrap paper and chipboard in production lab
Special Skills Needed:
experience in photography darkroom (optional), experience with laser cutting equipment (optional), how to follow directions and work without supervision.
*Students are prohibited from driving during work study employment with the limited exception of authorized work study driver positions.