J - 1 Scholars

Roger Williams University sponsors J-1 Visiting Scholars in the following categories: Professors, Research Scholars and Short-Term Scholars.

New Regulations for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program

Two-Year Home-Country Physical Presence Requirement

Prior to the start of your appointment and in consultation with your appointing department you must contact the Human Resources office at Roger Williams University to complete all necessary employment documentation.

Incidental Employment - Occasional lectures or consultations
As a J-1 Scholar (professor, researcher or short-term scholar) your employment in the United States is limited to the position described on your DS-2019 form. Any additional employment, salary, lecturing and/or any consulting must be related to your current work and is restricted.
Employment or participation outside of your position noted on your DS-2019 requires written permission from ISS at the Spiegel Center.

Applying for a Social Security Card
To obtain a Social Security card present the completed Social Security card application along with the following 3 documents to a Social Security representative:
Valid Passport, I-94, and SEVIS DS-2019

Health Insurance Requirement
Visiting Scholars are required by regulation to maintain medical insurance that covers them (and spouse and/or children if they are in the U.S. in J-2 status) for illnesses and accidents during the entire period of time they are in the U.S. in J-1 or J-2 immigration status. Minimum coverage must meet DOS requirements. Failure to maintain insurance throughout their stay in the U.S. in J status could jeopardize their lawful immigration status.

J-1 Exhange Visitors Legal Rights & Protections