J-1 Students

International students are eligible for the J Visa category if they are supported substantially by funding from any source other than personal or family funds (for example: government or university funding) or they are participants in an exchange program between their home university and Roger Williams University).

They must also be studying in the U.S., pursuing a full course of study leading to a U.S. degree or engaged in a prescribed course of study (non-degree) that can be up to 24 months duration.

Health Insurance Requirement

J-1 Students are required by regulation to maintain medical insurance that covers them (and spouse and/or children if they are in the U.S. in J-2 status) for illnesses and accidents during the entire period of time they are in the U.S. in J-1 or J-2 immigration status. Failure to maintain insurance throughout their stay in the U.S. in J status could jeopardize their lawful immigration status.

Program participants and their dependents are required to have medical insurance coverage with the following minimum benefits:

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

Student Employment

J-1 Students may, with prior written approval by the sponsor, engage in part-time employment that meets the following criteria: 1) it is related to the terms of the scholarship 2) it occurs on the RWU campus.
If it occurs off-campus students must show urgent and unforeseen economic circumstances occurred since acquiring J-1 student status.
International Scholar Services will make the determination as to whether such activity satisfies the criteria listed above

All necessary employment documentation must be completed prior to any employment - including a social security card application and other required tax documentation:
Employment and Tax Information
Information and tax forms on the IRS web site

You might also be required to file a Rhode Island tax return, which is separate from the federal return.
See their website for more information.

Applying for a Social Security Card
Social Security card applications are available online.

To obtain a Social Security card, present the following documents, along with a completed Social Security card application, to a Social Security representative:
1) J-1 Student's* Valid Passport 2) I-94 and 3) SEVIS DS-2019

J Exhange Visitors Legal Rights & Protections