International J-1 Scholars & J-1 Students

Welcome to International Scholar Services at the Spiegel Center for Global and International Programs.

Our services are designed to assist International Scholars who seek an appointment as a Visiting Scholar through the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program as well as J-1 students who wish to engage in a full course of study at Roger Williams University.

Roger Williams University sponsors J-1 Exchange Visitors in the following categories: Professors, Research Scholars, Short Term Scholars and Students.

International Scholar Services

Our office, in concert with academic departments and student services at the InterCultural Center, assists international scholars and students with their arrival and adjustment to Roger Williams University, including:

  • Determining Visa Eligibility
  • Prepare and Issue Visa Documents
  • Offer Advice on Immigration Procedures
  • Offer Counseling on Academic and Cultural Adjustment Issues
  • Offer Programs to Enhance the American Educational Experience

The Spiegel Center determines visa eligibility and prepares and issues all immigration documents needed for non-immigrant students, scholars and their dependents to obtain visas to come to Roger Williams University to study, teach and/or conduct research. We assist international students, scholars and their dependents with immigration benefits and procedures as well as advise them about their rights and responsibilities as non-immigrants living, studying and working in the United States. We also advise and counsel international students and scholars on financial, academic and personal issues which may impact their legal status in this country and at this university.

International Visiting Scholar Application Forms

J-1 Exchange Visitor Program

The primary purpose of the J-1 Exchange Visitor visa is to foster the exchange of ideas between Americans and foreign nationals and to stimulate international collaborative teaching and research efforts. The J-1 visa is the easiest and quickest visa to get, but it has certain limitations which must be considered when bringing foreign faculty members and researchers to the University. Additional information on the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa is available on the U.S. Department of State web site.