Applying for Federal Aid

Federal financial aid is available to graduate students who are U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents only.

How do I apply for federal financial aid?

Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the Federal Processor through the online application at The Roger Williams University Title IV code is 003410.

You are required to complete a FAFSA form each year you want to apply for financial aid. You may also need to provide the Financial Aid Office with a copy of your previous year’s tax return including all schedules if requested to do so. All graduate students are considered to be of independent status, therefore, parents’ financial information is not considered when determining eligibility for federal student aid.  Students must have completed and submitted the online FAFSA to be considered for financial aid (student loans).

Students enrolled less than half time (typically less than two courses per semester) and students who are not fully matriculated in a full degree program are not eligible for federal student loans.

What loan programs are available?

Student loan programs provide the majority of funding for graduate students. There are two types of federal loans that allow you to borrow up to your total cost of attendance:

  • The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan program provides $20,500 annually for graduate students.
  • The Federal Graduate Plus Loan program allows students to borrow up to the total cost of attendance less any funds obtained through the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Students must have a satisfactory credit history to qualify for this loan. 

What happens after I submit all my documents?

The Financial Aid Office will send you an award letter outlining each of the loans you are eligible to apply for, as well as directions on how to apply. If you received an assistantship, scholarship, or grant, that award will also be reflected in your total aid package. Students are encouraged to read all directions very carefully and to contact Financial Aid with questions.

Who can I contact with questions about financial aid?

Contact the Office of Graduate Financial Aid at (401) 254-4510 or