Transfer Credit Information

Incoming first year students that took courses through an institution of higher education may transfer this credit provided that:

  • Roger Williams University is in receipt of the official transcript from the college/university where this course was completed.  
  • Official transcripts may be sent to the Admissions Office and/or uploaded with the student’s admissions application.
  • The course was completed at a regionally accredited college or university.  

It is a college-level course taken for credit in which the student earned a grade of ‘C’ or higher.

The University Registrar’s Office will apply this credit to the student’s record.  If the course completed does not equate to an existing Roger Williams University Course, elective credit will be given.

Roger Williams University awards transfer credit only from regionally accredited colleges and universities and recognized international institutions. Most accredited institutions note their accrediting agency on their transcripts and include it in their official catalog.

Transfer credit at the undergraduate level may be granted on a course-by-course basis for course work completed with a grade of C or above.

Courses that are not accepted for general transfer credit include:

  • Courses from a non-accredited school, or one whose accreditation is not recognized.
  • Remedial/developmental /pre-college level courses.
  • Continuing Education and/or professional development units/courses.

There is no minimum credit requirement to be considered a transfer applicant. If you have completed at least one course from a regionally accredited college or university after graduating from high school, then you can be considered a transfer applicant.

A maximum of 75 credits transfer credits from a regionally accredited institution may be applied to a baccalaureate student’s degree requirements. The overall number of courses needed for a degree may exceed 120 credits.

Please ensure that you provide Roger Williams University with your final transcripts that reflect letter grades.  Credit cannot be awarded for courses that show as in progress or have not been completed.

To help determine the course equivalencies you may receive, please visit Transferology.

All transfer credit policies can be found in the Academic Policies, Regulations and Requirements section of the university catalog.

For further information, please visit Admission’s Transfer Student Website.

Current Roger Williams University students may take courses outside of Roger Williams University and transfer them back for credit provide that:

  • Roger Williams University’s Registrar’s Office is in receipt of the official transcript from the college/university where this course was completed.
  • The course was completed at a regionally accredited college or university.
  • It is a college-level course taken for credit in which the student earned a grade of ‘C’ or higher.
  • The student obtained pre-approval from their school dean via the Transfer Pre-Approval Form found on the Registrar Forms page.

Credit for courses successfully completed with a grade of C or higher are posted to the student’s record. Grades earned for course work completed at another college or university are not recorded on the student’s Roger Williams University record.  Grades for courses taken at an institution other than Roger Williams University are not used in computing the student’s GPA. No academic credit is awarded for internships/ COOP’s, practicum, directed research, preparatory, or remedial coursework.

All transfer credit policies can be found in the Academic Policies, Regulations and Requirements section of the university catalog.


University College awards transfer credits for eligible courses completed successfully at regionally and programmatically accredited institutions. Official transcripts from all institutions should be sent directly to the University College Office of Admissions at the time of application.

Credits earned at institutions outside the United States are considered for transferability on a case-by-case basis. Students should submit an official English evaluation completed by an approved credential evaluator.

Once a new student has been accepted into a program, a major has been declared, and all official transcripts and/or exam results have been received, University College conducts an official transfer credit evaluation. University College reserves the right to revise transfer credit awards due to course duplication, a student’s change in program of study, or other reasons deemed necessary by the college.

Students who wish to transfer credits earned at University College to another institution should consult with that institution to determine eligibility.

Undergraduate students who wish to have transfer credits assessed must provide an official academic transcript for credits earned at another institution and an official report of exam results for credits earned through college-level proficiency examinations.

Guidelines for Granting of Undergraduate Transfer Credit Awards

  • The minimum course grade acceptable for transfer credit is C, or 2.000 on a 4.000 scale.
  • Courses completed on a pass/fail scale are not eligible for transfer.
  • Transfer credits also may be earned through:
    • Prior Learning Assessment (PLA).
    • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP).
    • DANTES Examination Program of the Educational Testing Service.
    • Advanced Placement (AP) Examination
  • Up to 90 combined credits can be transferred into University College for a bachelor’s degree.

Matriculating students wishing to take courses at other institutions and transfer credit to Roger Williams University must obtain permission from their Resource Specialist, file a “Request to Attend another College” form with University College, and submit an official transcript upon course completion. Credit for courses completed successfully with a grade of C or better will be posted to the student’s record. Grades earned will not be recorded and will not affect the student’s GPA.

Prior Learning Credit

Students may be eligible for PLA credit if they have accrued a foundation of knowledge and skills equivalent to the content of courses offered by the University College.

Awarded credits are incorporated into a student’s degree plan as transfer credits and are subject to the university’s residency requirement. All transfer credit from all sources may not exceed 90 credits for a bachelor’s degree and 45 credits for an associate's degree.

Potential PLA credits should be considered and discussed as part of a student’s transfer credits at the time of enrollment. Interested students should contact their career and academic coach for more information.

Standardized Prior Learning

The University awards credit for educational experiences provided by certain business, industrial and governmental agencies, that has been assessed previously and approved for credit. All approved programs and trainings are evaluated on a 5-year rotation.

Evaluation of Lifetime Learning

If the program or training students successfully completed is not found on the Standardized Credit Database, the student can submit their documentation for an assessment of the experience for credit. Students will go through a process of systematic evaluation of such competencies against established course learning outcomes. Students should complete a Prior Learning Credit Request form (PLCR) for each certificate, training or license, with all relevant information. A credit determination will be made with in 10 Working days. You will receive one of three determinations:

  1. Denied.
  2. Approved with credit recommendation.
  3. Need Additional Materials.

If the determination is that additional materials are needed, you can work with the Director of Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) to go through a portfolio review. The evaluation of non-collegiate instruction often results in Credit Recommendations and/or Articulation Agreements that are found under Prior Credit Recommendations on our website.

Portfolio Assessment

University College offers a portfolio review process by which prior learning through past work, independent reading and study, training programs or in-service courses, volunteer service or other experiences can be analyzed, articulated, documented, and assessed for credit.

A portfolio, in terms of prior learning, is an extensive written presentation of evidence assembled by the student and reviewed by a subject matter expert. The award of prior learning portfolio credit is dependent on relevancy to courses in the student’s degree program including general education, major, and elective courses. The portfolio includes a resume, a personal narrative summary, a narrative that demonstrates and verifies your knowledge of the course material, and evidence documenting your proficiency in each published course objective. A certificate or training that has been granted credit through the PLA process may not be used as evidence in a portfolio application.

To be eligible for prior learning by Portfolio Review at UC a student must be matriculated into a degree program at UC and be in good academic standing (Minimum 2.5 GPA).

Matriculating graduate students may transfer graduate credit earned from another institution at the time of admission provided that those credits carry a minimum grade of ‘C’ and have not been used toward another earned master’s degree. The number of credits eligible for transfer may not exceed the difference between the credits required for the student’s academic program and the Graduate Residency Requirement. In all circumstances, transfer credit requests are not guaranteed and subject to the discretion of the Graduate Program Director in consultation with the appropriate Academic Dean.  Individual programs may have additional requirements as established by external accrediting agencies.

To request consideration for transfer credit, students must submit official transcripts reflecting the earned graduate credit to their respective Graduate Program Director for review. Students may also be requested to submit course syllabi or other related documents for consideration. Graduate transfer credit is subject to individual review and will be applied to the student’s degree plan by the Graduate Program Director in consultation with the University Registrar’s Office.