Dimensions of Wellness
There are five main aspects of personal health: physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and intellectual. In order to be considered "well," it is imperative for none of these areas to be neglected. The Health and Wellness Educators (HAWES) want to inform you, the student, of ways to maximize your personal wellness.
- Exercise! Even walking 30 minutes a day three times a week will greatly improve your health.
- Eat Healthy. Avoid fried foods, soft drinks, processed meats, and sweets. Try to include 5 servings of fruits and vegetables in your diet everyday.
- Don't skip meals. Especially breakfast, it slows down your metabolic rate and can cause weight gain.
- Avoid heavy episodic drinking and drug use. No more than five drinks in one sitting for men and four for women. Don't play drinking games and space drinks over time alternating with a glass of water.
- Get at least 6-8 hours of sleep every night.
- Health Education ext. 3413
- Dining Services ext. 3009
- Recreation Center ext. 5222
- Health Services ext. 3156
- Try to maintain a positive attitude even when problems arise.
- Discover your personal stress reliever. Manage your time wisely because it will help lower stress.
- Find someone that you trust who you can openly share your feelings with.
- Need to talk? Go see your PEER, HAWE, or RA.
- Seek professional help when you need it.
- Smile even when you don't feel like it.
- Counseling Center ext. 3124
- Get involved. There are a variety of clubs and organized on campus; you're bound to find something that interests you.
- Know who your best friends are.
- Recognize when you are in an unhealthy relationship.
- Balance your social life with your academic responsibility.
- Student Programs & Leadership ext. 3088/3284
- Feinstein Community Service Center ext. 3448
- Athletic Department ext. 3050
- Find a quiet place and spend time there every day.
- Contemplate the meaning of your life.
- If you have a religion, study and practice it.
- Spend time appreciating the natural world around you.
- Intercultural Center ext. 3121
- Intervarsity Christian Fellowship ext. 2932
- Keep abreast of current affairs.
- Take your school work seriously and spend time in the library.
- Seek academic help if you need it.
- Become a life-long learner.
- Center for Academic Development ext. 3841
- Library ext. 3084
- Center for Career & Professional Development ext. 3224
- Student Advocacy Office ext. 3579