Students in our digital-first Journalism program become more than just great writers. Through rigorous coursework and real-world experience at internships, you’ll learn how to gather news, report current events in an ethical manner on digital, print and electronic platforms.
To read more about our academic offerings, or to view full course descriptions, please refer to our University Catalog.
Student Learning Outcomes
Journalism has traditionally been a professional program that trains students in the professional standards required of a journalist at an entry-level position in the news media industries. Our program thus prepares students who, upon graduation, will be able to demonstrate:
- Strong news judgment and ethical news gathering and reporting.
- Knowledge of news media industries.
- An understanding of news media history and journalistic practices.
- The ability to report and write according to the standards of the news profession.
- The ability to record and edit audio-video content for online publication.
- The ability to report on digital media platforms.
- An understanding of media theory.
- Innovative thinking in the application of critical and analytical skills in news production.
Embodying a ReporterChelsea Boulrisse, RWU Class of 2016
When Chelsea Boulrisse landed a job in Wabash, Indiana as a reporter, she knew her first months would be spent establishing herself as a trusted journalist in the community. With her comprehensive degree from RWU, Chelsea did just that.Read full story
Q&A with a Journalism Alumna: Learning the Necessary Tools
Stephanie Ressler, RWU Class of 2016
Stephanie Ressler talked to us recently about how her experience at RWU and how she's applying the skills she learned in the Journalism program.
Reaching a Childhood Dream
Amanda Keane, RWU Class of 2015
Ever since she was a child, Amanda Keane knew one thing about her career: she wanted to be on TV. After graduating from RWU's journalism program and working for the last two years as an on-air reporter, Keane got her wish, and so much more.