Health and Wellness Educators (HAWEs)
"We as Health and Wellness Educators are students interested in promoting healthy lifestyles. We work together to educate the RWU community about alcohol & other drugs, safe sex, nutrition and general wellness."
- That health is an individual choice
- That people can choose to make lifestyle changes
- That motivation for change comes from within an individual
Our Motto is:
"Helping Others Help Themselves"
- Applications available on Wednesday, February 2nd, 2022.
- HAWE Information Session: Wednesday, February 16th, 2022 at GHH 101 3pm-4pm
- A full application MUST be submitted by Friday, March 11th, 2022.
- First round of interviews will be Wednesday, March 23rd, 2022.
- Second round of interviews will be Wednesday, March 30th, 2022.
Benefits & Compensation
- $1,776.00 per semester
- GREAT Leadership opportunities
- A chance to better your presentation skills
- A chance to be part of a team
- Skills needed in the professional world
- Chances to express yourself creatively through programming
Health and Wellness Educator (HAWE) Position Description
Job Summary: under the supervision of the Director of Health Education, HAWEs provide a range of educational activities consistent with the university’s mission. They develop and present university prevention campaigns and residence hall workshops. They are also trained in Motivational Interviewing (MI) and provide health behavior change coaching for their peers. There are ten positions and two HAWEs are assigned to one of five health topic areas. These two person teams not only meet with the Director of Health Education, but have another supervisor that is a member of the Student Life staff.
Teams & Supervisors
- Mental Health Team - Maureen Minarik, PhD., Assistant Director for The Center for Counseling & Student Development
- Sex Education Team/ Title IX - Dr. Jen Stanley, Title IX Coordinator and Associate Dean and Deborah Knapman, Psychological Counselor for The Center for Counseling & Student Development
- Alcohol and Other Drugs - Diana Perez, Graduate Assistance of Director of Health Education & Law Student
- General Health Team - Anne Mitchell Director of Health Services
Duties & Responsibilities
- Attends fall, winter training.
- Works cooperatively with other HAWE's
- Plans and organizes campus wellness campaigns on their assigned topic
- Develops and presents workshops in residence halls and classroom presentations
- Collects and analyses national and RWU data on college student health behaviors
- Creates educational brochures, handouts, ads, publicity releases, posters and bulletin boards
- Provides wellness coaching to students
- Participates in self-evaluation and evaluation by the Director of Health Education
- Is knowledgeable of and has the ability to write CAS learning objectives for each program
- Engages in strategic planning and program evaluation
Knowledge & Skills
- Creative, energetic person with good listening skills
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Committed to self- development
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Is comfortable with public speaking and one-on-one interaction
- Is a role model of positive health behaviors
Deborah Knapman, LICSW, RYT
Interim HAWE Supervisor
Graduate Assistant Diana Perez:
Hi my name is Diana Perez I am a third year law student at RWU Law. I graduated RWU in 2018 with a bachelors in Criminal Justice & Psychology. I was a HAWE for 3 years and I am excited to be apart of the team again and continue to help others help themselves! I can be reached via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dominique McMillian: My name is Dominque McMillian (she/her/hers) '24 and I am from East Hampton, Connecticut. I am currently majoring in Public Health, with a minor in Children's Psychology. I am a first-year HAWE on the General Health team. On-campus, I am also a part of the a cappella group, Hawkward. I am passionate about promoting the importance of health to all people and providing resources to those who struggles to fine it. I enjoy music, nature, and being with friends and family. I am super excited to be a HAWE and can't wait to see what we do this year!
Hi! I'm Devin Thiesen (he/him/his) '23 and I am from Hebron, Connecticut. I am majoring in Psychology with a double minor in Professional and Public Writing & Cultural Studies. This is my first year as a HAWE and I am on the Sexual Education & Healthy Relationship Team! My passions include photography, listening to music, and making people laugh. I am super ex cited to be a member of the HAWEs this year, and I hope to help everyone feel as comfortable and happy as possible!
Hey! My name is Shannon Agonis (she/her/hers) and I am a 3rd year biology major at RWU. I am a first year HAWE and I am on the Alcohol and Other Drugs team ! I love to find new places to adventure and enjoy spending time with friends. I can’t wait to help other students learn about subjects they may not have otherwise been aware of! I’m excited to work with everyone and improve campus life!
Hello! My name is Andrea Edwards (she/her/hers) from Stonington, CT. I am a Public Health major graduating in 2022 with a double minor in Mathematics & Psychology. For my third year as a HAWE I am very excited to join the AOD team! In my free time I enjoy going out with my friends, listening to music, being physically active, and spending time outdoors. I am very excited to be spreading healthy and positive messages throughout our campus community!
Hi! I'm Maddie Jarvis (she/her/hers) '22 and I am from Portsmouth, Rhode Island. I am a History major with two minors in Art & Architectural History and Public & Professional Writing. I am a senior HAWE, and this year I am thrilled to be on the mental health team! I enjoy reading, listening to music, and hanging out with friends. I'm a writing tutor here on campus, and I am currently pursing a career in freelance writing and copywriting! I am excited to round out my senior year as a third-year HAWE, and I am determined to keep this campus as informed and safe as it can be!
Hello! My name is Jordan and I am a senior dance major with a second major in psychology. I am a third-year HAWE on the Sex Ed team and have previously worked on the Alcohol and Other Drugs team and the Mental Health team. In my free time, I enjoy writing, collecting crystals, and being outside! I feel so rewarded to have been able to be a part of such a wonderful team of people throughout my time at Roger and cannot believe I only have one year left! Regardless, I am very excited to continue to help student make healthy choices and live their most fulfilled lives.
Hello! My name is Zachary J. Lafontaine (he/him/his) '23 from Warwick, RI. I am pursing a double major inLegal Studies (Pre- law) and Political Science. This is my second year as a HAWE and I am on the General Health Team. My involvement on campus consists of being a proud member of the Student Senate, the RWU Campus Leadership Team and the Title IX Student Task Force. My free time consists of working on legislation/bills for Student Senate, binge watching new shows, being adventurous, working out, sports, playing golf, trying new foods and spending time with friends and family. I am really excited to see the potential for this semester as we are coming to a post-pandemic era. I am very hopeful that many of Roger's traditions can be seen through this year. Nonetheless, I look forward to the start of this semester and seeing everyone again in-person!