Health and Wellness Educators (HAWEs)
"We as Health and Wellness Educators are students interested in promoting healthy lifestyles. We work together to educate the RWU community about alcohol & other drugs, safe sex, nutrition and general wellness."
- That health is an individual choice
- That people can choose to make lifestyle changes
- That motivation for change comes from within an individual
Our Motto is:
"Helping Others Help Themselves"
Apply to be a HAWEClick to Open
- Applications available on Wednesday, January 23rd, 2019.
- A full application MUST be submitted by Friday, March 1st, 2019.
- First round of interviews will be Wednesday, March 26th, 2019.
- Second round of interviews will be Wednesday, March 20th, 2019.
- Accepted candidates will be notified on Friday, March 22nd, 2019.
Benefits & Compensation
- $1,100.00 per semester
- GREAT Leadership opportunities
- A chance to better your presentation skills
- A chance to be part of a team
- Skills needed in the professional world
- Chances to express yourself creatively through programming
Health and Wellness Educator (HAWE) Position Description
Job Summary: under the supervision of the Director of Health Education, HAWEs provide a range of educational activities consistent with the university’s mission. They develop and present university prevention campaigns and residence hall workshops. They are also trained in Motivational Interviewing (MI) and provide health behavior change coaching for their peers. There are ten positions and two HAWEs are assigned to one of five health topic areas. These two person teams not only meet with the Director of Health Education, but have another supervisor that is a member of the Student Life staff.
Teams & Supervisors
- Mental Health Team - Christopher Bailey, PhD., Interim Director for The Center for Counseling & Student Development
- Sex Education Team - Donna Lynn Darmondy, Director of Health Education and Alcohol & Drug Prevention Coordinator
- Title IX - Dr. Jen Stanley, Title IX Coordinator and Associate Dean and Deborah Knapman, Psychological Counselor for The Center for Counseling & Student Development
- Alcohol and Other Drugs - Mary Randazzo, Coordinator of Residence Education for the Dept. of Residence Life & Housing
- General Health Team - Anne Mitchell Director of Health Services
Duties & Responsibilities
- Attends fall, winter training.
- Works cooperatively with other HAWE's
- Plans and organizes campus wellness campaigns on their assigned topic
- Develops and presents workshops in residence halls and classroom presentations
- Collects and analyses national and RWU data on college student health behaviors
- Creates educational brochures, handouts, ads, publicity releases, posters and bulletin boards
- Provides wellness coaching to students
- Participates in self-evaluation and evaluation by the Director of Health Education
- Is knowledgeable of and has the ability to write CAS learning objectives for each program
- Engages in strategic planning and program evaluation
Knowledge & Skills
- Creative, energetic person with good listening skills
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Committed to self- development
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Is comfortable with public speaking and one-on-one interaction
- Is a role model of positive health behaviors
Health and Wellness Education BrochuresClick to Open
Meet the H.A.W.EsClick to Open
Donna Lynn Darmody M.S., C.W.P.
Director of Health Education/
Alcohol And Other Drug Abuse
T. 401 254-3413
F. 401 254-3305
Graduate Assistant Diana Perez:
Hi my name is Diana Perez I am a first year law student at RWU Law. I graduated RWU in 2018 with a bachelors in Criminal Justice & Psychology. I was a HAWE for 3 years and I am excited to be apart of the team again and continue to help others help themselves! I can be reached via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Hey! My name is Jake Amendola (he/him/his) ‘21 and I am a Biology major from Wyckoff, New Jersey. This is my second year as a HAWE and I am on the General Health team. My passions include disease prevention, exercise, and self-improvement. I cannot wait to help others take advantage of their resources on and off-campus to better their overall well being.
I’m Meghan Maher (she/her/hers) ‘20 and I am a Psychology major with a Public Health and Biology minor from Holden, Massachusetts.This is my second year a as HAWE and I am on the Mental Health team. My passions include yoga, running, and spending time with my family. I am eager to guide my peers through college by encouraging a healthy physical and, especially, mental lifestyle!
I’m Elsa Schloemer (she/her/hers) ‘21 and I am a public health major with a political science minor from Greenfield, New Hampshire. I am a second year HAWE and on the AOD team. I enjoy writing and recording music as well as writing slam poetry. I am proud to be a campus educator on such an important topic. As a HAWE I hope to help students feel safe and empowered on our campus.
Hi! My name is Hannah Verre (she/her/hers) ‘20 and I am from Pepperell, MA, with a Psychology major and Music minor. This is my third year as a HAWE and I am on the mental health team. My passions lie in destigmatizing mental health issues and promoting safe and positive environments as well as music, Star Wars, and animals. I can’t wait to help students learn about the importance of mental health and live their best lives while seeking positive changes!
Hi! My name is Victoria Love (she/her/hers)’20 and I am from New Hartford, New York majoring in Biology (Pre-Veterinary Track) with minors in Psychology and Marine Biology. I am a second year HAWE on the General Health team! In my free time I volunteer in Marine Animal Rescue Programs working with seals and sea turtles and I also absolutely adore concerts. As a HAWE I hope to create a safe, positive, and comfortable community here for students!
I’m Alisha Laliberte (she/her/hers) ’20 and I am a Public Health major with a Psychology minor from Webster, MA. This is my secoond year as a HAWE and I am a member of the Relationship and Consent team hoping to educate my peers on how to have a fun but safe college experience. My passions include fitness, sports, and music.
My name is Andrea Edwards (she/her/hers) '22 from Stonington, CT. I am a Public Health major with a double minor in Mathematics & Psychology. This is my first year as a HAWE and I am on the Sexual Education team! My passions include nutrition and exercise, but I also love spending time with my friends, listening to music, and telling jokes, I am very excited to be spreading healthy and positive messages throughout our campus community!
Hi! I’m Maddie Jarvis (she/her/hers) ’22 and I am from Portsmouth, Rhode Island. I am a double major in Secondary Education and History with a minor in Political Science. This is my first year as a HAWE and I am on the healthy relationship and consent team! I enjoy reading, listening to music, and hanging out with friends. I am also a part of WQRI and I am a writing tutor! I am excited to be a HAWE and I am determined to help make our campus as welcoming as it can be!
Hi! I’m Asia Carter-Lamb (she/her/hers) ’20 from Baltimore, MD and I am a Finance major with a double minor in Economics & Professional and Public Writing. This is my second year as a HAWE and I am on the Sexual Education team. I am also a member of the RWU Women’s Track and Field Team & a Mathematics Tutor. Both of these allow me to build strong interactions with new people to ultimately improve the campus experience!
Hello, my name is Adam Rose (he, him, his) '20 from Dighton, Massachusetts. I am a double major in Criminal Justice & Psychology, and this is my first year as a HAWE. I enjoy playing music, sprint car racing with my grandparents, and carpentry. I am also a member of Student Senate, a Supplemental Instructor at Bristol Community College, and an active supporter of American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. I look forward to working with students to make sure they areable to feel safe and healthy.
Hey y'all! I'm Jordan Roberts (she/her/hers) and I'm a sophomore here at RWU pursuing a double major in psychology and dance. I'm very excited to say this is my first year as a HAWE and I;m thrilled to be working on the Alcohol and Other Drugs team for the 2019-2020 academic year. I tend to try and spend as much time outside as possible (usually barefoot). I love dancing, journaling- basically any outlet in which I can be creating something is right up mu alley. I also have an absolutely terrible sense of humor, however I like to think I'm outright hilarious so just laugh with me. I look forward to spreading my knowledge of well-being and safety from southern Maine all the way to our beautiful campus here in Rhode Island!