Health and Wellness Educators (HAWEs)
"We as Health and Wellness Educators are students interested in promoting healthy lifestyles. We work together to educate the RWU community about alcohol & other drugs, safe sex, nutrition and general wellness."
- That health is an individual choice
- That people can choose to make lifestyle changes
- That motivation for change comes from within an individual
Our Motto is:
"Helping Others Help Themselves"
- Applications available on Wednesday, February 2nd, 2022.
- HAWE Information Session: Wednesday, February 16th, 2022 at GHH 101 3pm-4pm
- A full application MUST be submitted by Friday, March 11th, 2022.
- First round of interviews will be Wednesday, March 23rd, 2022.
- Second round of interviews will be Wednesday, March 30th, 2022.
Benefits & Compensation
- $1,776.00 per semester
- GREAT Leadership opportunities
- A chance to better your presentation skills
- A chance to be part of a team
- Skills needed in the professional world
- Chances to express yourself creatively through programming
Health and Wellness Educator (HAWE) Position Description
Job Summary: under the supervision of the Director of Health Education, HAWEs provide a range of educational activities consistent with the university’s mission. They develop and present university prevention campaigns and residence hall workshops. They are also trained in Motivational Interviewing (MI) and provide health behavior change coaching for their peers. There are ten positions and two HAWEs are assigned to one of five health topic areas. These two person teams not only meet with the Director of Health Education, but have another supervisor that is a member of the Student Life staff.
Teams & Supervisors
- Mental Health Team - Maureen Minarik, PhD., Assistant Director for The Center for Counseling & Student Development
- Sex Education Team/ Title IX - Dr. Jen Stanley, Title IX Coordinator and Associate Dean and Deborah Knapman, Psychological Counselor for The Center for Counseling & Student Development
- Alcohol and Other Drugs - Diana Perez, Graduate Assistance of Director of Health Education & Law Student
- General Health Team - Anne Mitchell Director of Health Services
Duties & Responsibilities
- Attends fall, winter training.
- Works cooperatively with other HAWE's
- Plans and organizes campus wellness campaigns on their assigned topic
- Develops and presents workshops in residence halls and classroom presentations
- Collects and analyses national and RWU data on college student health behaviors
- Creates educational brochures, handouts, ads, publicity releases, posters and bulletin boards
- Provides wellness coaching to students
- Participates in self-evaluation and evaluation by the Director of Health Education
- Is knowledgeable of and has the ability to write CAS learning objectives for each program
- Engages in strategic planning and program evaluation
Knowledge & Skills
- Creative, energetic person with good listening skills
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Committed to self- development
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Is comfortable with public speaking and one-on-one interaction
- Is a role model of positive health behaviors
Deborah Knapman, LICSW, RYT
Interim HAWE Supervisor
Graduate Assistant Jasmin Anastacio Blackiston:
My name is Jasmin Anastacio Blackiston (she/her/hers) and I am a third year law student at RWU Law. I am the Graduate Assistant for the HAWE Program and look forward to serving in this position for the academic year ahead! I can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hello! My name is Dominique McMillian; I use she/her/hers pronouns. I am a junior studying Public Health, with minors in Psych and Cultural Studies. I am a second year HAWE on the Mental Health team. On campus, I am an Orientation Advisor, the Assistant Business Director of Hawkward, and also a member of Women of Color Club, Multicultural Student Union, and the Public Health Club! I am passionate about promoting the significance of wellness for all students on campus, and I am really looking forward to collaborating with clubs, orgs, and student leaders across campus this year!
Hi! I'm Devin Thiesen (he/him/his) '23 and I am from Hebron, Connecticut. I am majoring in Psychology with a double minor in Professional & Public Writing and Cultural Studies. This is my second year as a HAWE and I am on the Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) Team! My passions include photography, listening to music, and spending time with nature. I am super excited to return to the HAWEs this year, and I hope to help everyone feel as comfortable and happy as possible!
Hey! My name is Shannon Agonis (she/her/hers) and I am a fourth year biology major at RWU. I am a second year HAWE and I am on the Sexual Education and Healthy Relationships team! I love finding new places to explore and spending time with the ones I love. I can’t wait to help other students learn about subjects they may not have otherwise been aware of or been exposed to in previous academic settings! My time at Roger has been full of so many new experiences including being surrounded by a great new group of peer educators, and I look forward to spreading our creativity across campus. As a senior, I hope to leave an impact on RWU campus life and the wellness of others.
My name is Jordyn Pugsley (she/her/hers), graduating in 2024. I am from Wakefield, Massachusetts. I am currently a double major in Public Health and Psychology. I am a first-year HAWE on the Alcohol and Other Drugs team. On-campus, I am also a part of the Public Health Club and I am a staff assistant at Residence Life and Housing. I enjoy being active and spending time with my friends and family. I am excited to educate others on campus, while making new connections and getting involved. I want to be able to spread a positive message throughout campus in a fun and eye-catching way!
Hi! My name is Paige Corcoran (they/she/hers) and I am from Attleboro, Massachusetts. I'm a first year HAWE and I'm on the Sex Education and Healthy Relationships team. I'm currently undecided in my major but I'm very interested in law, sustainability, art, and public health. However, I do plan to double minor in gender and sexuality studies and ASL (American Sign Language). I'm super excited to have the opportunity to connect with students at RWU this year, especially about a number of difficult and complex topics that concern their general sexual health and interpersonal relationships.
Hi! My name is Madison Quattrini (she/her/hers) and I’m a senior here at Roger Williams University. I am majoring in psychology, minoring in criminal justice and my core concentration is gender and sexuality studies. This is my first year as a HAWE and I’m so excited to be on the General Health team with Trinity. I’m passionate about helping people feel their absolute best through tips and tricks that are easy to implement. In my free time, I can be found enjoying coffee from local cafes, watching movies, and listening to true crime podcasts. I am very excited for the ‘22-’23 school year; I can’t wait to aid others in their health and wellness journey!
My name is Trinity DeJesus (she/her/hers) and I am in the graduating class of 2024. I am from East Granby, Connecticut. I am currently majoring in Psychology, with a minor in Anthropology & Sociology. I am a first-year HAWE on the General Health team. I am extremely excited to incorporate my peers in all of the events and workshops we put in place to expand their overall health and well-being. I hope that I am able to assist them in the process of bettering themselves, and hopefully encouraging others in their life to do so as well. I love reading, being outside, and spending quality time with the people close to me. I am looking forward to being a HAWE and can't wait to make an impact.
Hi, I’m Sophia Gatto (she/her/hers) '25 and I am from Natick, Massachusetts. I am currently majoring in Psychology and minoring in Public Health. I am a first-year HAWE on the Mental Health team. On campus, I am also the business director for the school acappella group, Hawkward. I enjoy painting, being with friends and family, and spending time outside. I feel so grateful to be a part of a group that promotes safe practices and wellness for all. I am super excited to be a HAWE and can't wait to see what we do this year!