Intercultural Leadership Ambassador Program and Scholarship (ILAPS)
Each year, RWU recognizes, rewards and celebrates a diverse group of students, with special emphasis on Rhode Island residents, who have demonstrated academic achievement, leadership and contributions to their communities through a selective scholarship program.
The Intercultural Leadership Ambassador Program and Scholarship (abbreviated as ILAPS but commonly referred to as ILA) awards students a $35,000 scholarship for four consecutive years of undergraduate study. In addition, students will be involved in a co-curricular program which seeks to further the holistic and leadership growth of recipients throughout their time at RWU. But this isn't just a program. When you become an ILA, you become part of our family.
Program Benefits & Components
1. Renewable scholarship valued at $35,000 per year
2. Individual mentoring
3. Academic advising and workshops
4. Group outings within and outside of Rhode Island
5. Cohort team building
For more information about the program, contact the Assistant Director of Multicultural Student initiatives at firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligibility & Requirements
To qualify for ILAPS, students must achieve all 4 of the following criteria in addition to being admitted to the University:
- Show academic proficiency, achieving a minimum of a 3.0 GPA
- Be eligible for need-based financial aid & qualify for the Pell Grant or show significant financial need
- Demonstrate leadership in their high school or local community or show leadership potential
- AND one of the following: Be a first generation college student; speak a first language other than English or live in a home where English is not the primary language; live or attend high school in an under-resourced community; or live in a geographically underrepresented community.
Application Process & Timeline
To be considered for ILAPS, students should indicate their interest and answer the corresponding questions on the Common Application when prompted as they apply for admission to the University. It is a mandatory question on the RWU member screen which requires students to select either yes or no before moving forward to complete the remainder of the application. If students indicate they are not interested when applying to the University but decide afterwards that they are interested, they may complete the online application.
Application deadline: February 1
All applications must be received by February 1 in order for students to be considered for ILAPS. This also includes admission applications and all supplementary items (transcripts, letters of recommendation, portfolios, etc.)
Notification date: April 15
Please note that admissions decision and initial financial aid awards will be sent out before scholarship decisions are made. In the event that a student is selected as an ILA, a new financial aid award will be generated and will replace the initial award that was given to the student.
For more information about the application process and timeline, contact the Office of Admissions at email@example.com