Welcome School & College Counselors
School counselors are a key partner in helping Roger Williams University serve both our current and future students. At RWU, our holistic approach to making admission decisions considers the whole student, and allows a greater number of students access to an RWU education.
Stay informed! Join our mailing list
Sign up today
RWU at a Glance
- Roger Williams University is a private, liberal arts university located in beautiful Bristol, Rhode Island; a convenient distance from Providence, Newport, and Boston. Named after the founder of Rhode Island and 17th century revolutionary, we are a university devoted to making society a better, more socially just place.
- We are seeking students that not only want to dive into their classroom learning, but also want to enhance our close-knit and dynamic community. Here at RWU, we value and understand the importance of community, acceptance, and diversity so that we can continue to build the university the world needs now. With that in mind, we encourage you to think about students who are involved in their communities, are dedicated to service learning, and are hands on learners, ready to make an impact.
- Our Bristol campus is home to six academic schools offering 50 majors and 70+ minors, providing students with diverse and unique program offerings. With an average class size of 19, students are able to personalize their college experience, and establish relationships with professors, mentors and their peers.
Early Action: November 15
Regular Decision: February 1
HONORS Program Preferred Deadline: November 15
1. Common Applications
2. High School Transcript(s)
3. Essay/Personal Statement
4. One Letter of Recommendation
Portfolio & Audition
Students applying to Architecture are required to submit portfolios for consideration for direct-entry.
Dance Performance Studies applicants are required to audition prior to their application being reviewed. They will have the option to schedule and in-person audition or submit an audition video. Videos may be posted to a shared YouTube or Vimeo channel.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Merit scholarships are awarded by automatic review in consideration of academic performance, rigor of curriculum, standardized test scores (if submitted) and other personal characteristics and accomplishments. Merit awards range from $10,000 to $24,000 renewable annually with travel grants available for out-of-region students, which equates to 21-61% of tuition cost.
Additional scholarship opportunities by separate application:
- The Intercultural Leadership Ambassador Program and Scholarship (ILAPS) awards students a $35,000 scholarship for four consecutive years of undergraduate study. In addition, students will be involved in a co-curricular program which seeks to further the holistic and leadership growth of recipients throughout their time at RWU.
- The RISE Scholars program recognizes, supports and empowers a group of academically talented students with financial need as they prepare to enter Research and Industry in Science and Engineering (RISE). This program includes a $10,000 scholarship for up to four consecutive years of undergraduate study and involvement in a co-curricular program which seeks to develop the expertise of students in preparation for successful careers in STEM fields.
Need-based financial aid requires that students submit the FAFSA by February 1 (FAFSA Code: 003410); RWU does not use the CSS profile.
Profile of Admitted Student
- GPA Middle 50%: 3.11-3.85
- SAT Middle 50%: 1140-1290
- ACT Middle 50%: 26-30
- Students of Color: 21%
- First Generation Students: 24%
- Out-of-State Students: 87%
Tuition and Costs
For most up-to-date tuition and fees, visit the Office of the Bursar website.
Visit Experience Options
We provide a variety of visit experiences to explore our waterfront campus. Offerings include information sessions and tours, special presentations, virtual tours (with student-led guides), and open houses. Click here to learn more and to register. To request a virtual counselor tour, please email us.
Fall Open House
Invite your students to join us on Sunday, November 14 for our Fall Open House! The event is planned to provide your students and your guests with a thorough, yet customizable visit experience.
Each May, our invitational Counselor Experience welcomes school counselors, independent counselors and CBO advisors to join our campus community for a day and gain perspectives on our academic programs, support services, student life, dining options and application review process. We wrap up the day with a cocktail reception overlooking Mt. Hope Bay where you'll connect directly with many members of the RWU community who will ultimately play important roles in the success of your students who choose Roger. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our undergraduate admission counselors would be happy to chat with you about your students, schedule a visit to campus or answer any questions you may have. Feel free to contact your admission counselor.
Join our counselor mailing list to learn more about RWU and keep up-to-date with our application deadlines, visit opportunities and exciting news from our community.
You can also get in touch with our current students or an Admission Counselor via our live chat that is monitored throughout the work day.