Welcome School & College Counselors
School counselors are a key partner in helping Roger Williams University serve both our current and future students.
Response to COVID-19
- Commitment to safety: To ensure the safety of our campus community and visitors, all campus visit tours and admission events through April 6 have been canceled. Please click here for the latest updates and information, as well as virtual ways for students and families to engage with us during this time.
- Extended enrollment deadline: We empathize with the serious financial, health, and emotional factors that are changing for families in both short-term and longer-term decisions we all are facing. With this in mind, we've extended the enrollment reservation deadline to June 1.
- New virtual options: Current options include Live Streamed Information Sessions, Q&A Sessions, our Virtual Tour, and online chat. More options to come. Stay up-to-date and view all options here.
- Expanded Speakers Bureau: Presentations and workshops can be delivered virtually (we have presentations on topics like navigating the college search, writing college essays, emerging careers), and we are happy to set up a virtual meeting to replace a high school visit.
- New presentation: Virtual Mock Application Review at 10 a.m. on Monday, May 4. Join Dean of Admission, Amy Tiberio, and Associate Director of Admission, Joe Varao, will walk through various sample applications to detail our review process, and highlight the factors that we find especially valuable in our decision-making. Register here.
RWU at a Glance
- Roger Williams University is a private, liberal arts university located in beautiful Bristol, Rhode Island; a convenient distance from Providence, Newport, and Boston. Named after the founder of Rhode Island and 17th century revolutionary, we are a university devoted to making society a better, more socially just place.
- We are seeking students that not only want to dive into their classroom learning, but also want to enhance our close-knit and dynamic community. Here at RWU, we value and understand the importance of community, acceptance, and diversity so that we can continue to build the university the world needs now. With that in mind, we encourage you to think about students who are involved in their communities, are dedicated to service learning, and are hands on learners, ready to make an impact.
- Our Bristol campus is home to nine schools offering over 45 majors and 70+ minors, providing students with diverse and unique program offerings. With an average class size of 19, students are able to personalize their college experience, and establish relationships with professors, mentors and their peers.
Early Action: November 15
Regular Decision: February 1
1. Common Applications
2. High School Transcript(s)
3. Essay/Personal Statement
4. One Letter of Recommendation
Portfolio & Audition
Students applying to Architecture or Visual Arts are required to submit portfolios for consideration for direct-entry.
Students applying as Dance majors must participate in an on-campus audition. However, if distance from RWU is prohibitive to an on-campus audition, students may contact the Office of Admission to coordinate an alternative option.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Merit scholarships are awarded by automatic review in consideration of academic performance, rigor of curriculum, standardized test scores (if submitted) and other personal characteristics and accomplishments. Merit awards for the 2019-2020 academic year range from $7,500 to $22,500 renewable annually, which equates to 21-61% of tuition cost.
Additional scholarship opportunities by separate application:
- The Intercultural Leadership Ambassador Program and Scholarship (ILAPS) awards students a $35,000 scholarship for four consecutive years of undergraduate study. In addition, students will be involved in a co-curricular program which seeks to further the holistic and leadership growth of recipients throughout their time at RWU.
- The RISE Scholars program recognizes, supports and empowers a group of academically talented students with financial need as they prepare to enter Research and Industry in Science and Engineering (RISE). This program includes a $10,000 scholarship for up to four consecutive years of undergraduate study and involvement in a co-curricular program which seeks to develop the expertise of students in preparation for successful careers in STEM fields.
Need-based financial aid requires that students submit the FAFSA by February 1 (FAFSA Code: 003410); RWU does not use the CSS profile.
Accepted Student Profile
- GPA Middle 50%: 3.0-3.7
- SAT Middle 50%: 1110-1250
- ACT Middle 50%: 23-29
- Students of Color: 21%
- First Generation Students: 28%
- Out-of-State Students: 88%
Tuition and Costs
For most up-to-date tuition and fees, visit the Office of the Bursar website.
Visit Us/Virtual Tour
Please note that the University has made decisions recently related to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) that affect our campus visit and events schedule. All campus visit tours through April 6 have been canceled. Please click here for the latest updates and information, as well as virtual ways to engage with us during this time. Take our virtual tour at any time.
Our undergraduate admission counselors would be happy to chat with you about your students, a visit to campus or answer any questions you may have. Feel free to contact your admission counselor.
Join our counselor mailing list to learn more about RWU and keep up-to-date with our application deadlines, visit opportunities and exciting news from our community.
You can also get in touch with our current students or an Admission Counselor via our live chat that is monitored throughout the work day.
Each May, our invitational Counselor Experience welcomes school counselors, independent counselors and CBO advisors to join our campus community for a day and gain perspectives on our academic programs, support services, student life, dining options and application review process. We wrap up the day with a cocktail reception overlooking Mt. Hope Bay where you'll connect directly with many members of the RWU community who will ultimately play important roles in the success of your students who choose Roger. For more information, please email email@example.com.