In order to build the university the world needs now, we draw inspiration from our namesake and reflect upon our history to chart a visionary course for the future of Roger Williams University.
The Vision Project
In the fall of 2014, the entire University community launched The Vision Project, with more than 20 committees comprising of faculty, staff, students and trustees working together over six months to articulate a bold, new core purpose, an enduring set of core values and visionary university goals. Drawing inspiration from our namesake, this was RWU's own "lively experiment" to define a roadmap for our future.
To strengthen society through engaged teaching and learning. We inspire and educate students to lead fulfilled lives by ensuring they acquire and develop the knowledge, skills and habits of mind necessary to become reflective, responsible individuals who interact with society in mutually rewarding ways.
A Roger Williams University education is:
Transformative. We are committed to an expansive student-centered experience, characterized by academic rigor, critical thinking, collaboration and community engagement, that enriches students, the University and the broader society.
Engaged. We collaborate with one another and with constituencies outside the University to promote individual learning and to help address community needs.
Experiential. We provide an educational environment that bridges theory and practice, enhancing the ability of students to fulfill their potential and to contribute to society.
Inclusive. We welcome and value all expressions of diversity and identity, actively promote inclusion and prepare students to challenge societal norms and to thrive in a culturally diverse and global society.
Innovative. We are nimble in developing and piloting changes for the continuous improvement of learning, service and all other aspects of University life.
To Build the University the World Needs Now
- By working with local and global communities to address problems that matter most to society.
- By utilizing transformative educational experiences in preparing all students to fulfill their potential as lifelong learners, professionals and citizens.
- By meeting the higher education needs of dedicated and aspiring learners of all ages and career stages.
- By being affordable for every student who is admitted to the university.
- By hiring faculty and staff, and recruiting students, who mirror the diversity of our region.
- By promoting sustainability as a core principle on the campus and in the community.