There are various ways for international students to be considered for admission based on their language proficiency and readiness to pursue full-time enrollment.
Undergraduate English Language Proficiency Requirements
RWU Direct Admission
Students that meet one of the requirements below will be considered for direct admission to their program of study or major.
Minimum Score Requirements
- TOEFL that is 79 IBT/550 PBT/213 CBT or greater
- IELTS that is a 6.5 or greater
Test scores can be waived if the student meets one of the following requirements:
- The student is a citizen of a country where English is the primary language
- Two years of standard English with a B or better in a high school where English is the primary language used in the classroom
- A score of 550 or greater on the EBRW section of the new SAT
- A score of 20 or greater on the ACT English Writing Score
- A score of 6 or greater in IB English SL or HL
- AP English score of 5 or greater
- Satisfactory completion of an agreed upon program from a partnered ESL program
RWU ESL Bridge Program
For those international students whose test scores indicate that they would benefit from additional English as a Second Language (ESL) support, we offer the RWU ESL Bridge Program. This program allows advanced-level ESL students to take appropriate ESL courses in addition to their academic courses, supplemented by ESL tutoring in preparation for taking a full-time academic course load. This program is for non-native English speaking students interested in RWU's undergraduate program.
Minimum Score Requirements:
- TOEFL that is between 61-79 IBT/ 500-550PBT / 173-213 CBT
- IELTS that is between 5.0 and 6.0
Conditional Admission to Roger Williams University
International students applying to RWU with English language test scores below qualifying standards, or with no scores submitted, can be considered for conditional admission. A student would then have one year from the time they are accepted to complete an ESL program from one of our preferred partners, or provide us with the required test scores necessary to qualify for the Bridge Program or for Direct Admission.
Our ESL partners:
Boston International Academy
1642 Commonwealth Ave
Boston, MA 02135
Center for English Language & Orientation Programs (CELOP)
890 Commonwealth Ave. 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02215
1105 Commonwealth Ave. Suite 202
Boston, MA 02215