Education and Aquarist Assistant - Save the Bay
Do you have a passion for marine biology? Looking to develop your skills as an educator? At Save The Bay’s Exploration Center & Aquarium, interns build a foundation for a career in marine biology and education by participating in all aspects of running a hands-on aquarium and educating the public about the ecology of Narragansett Bay.
This position is offered with flexible start and end dates that can be tailored to your schedule. They will accept and review applications until all positions have been filled
What you will learn:
- Marine biology of Narragansett Bay
- Aquarium maintenance, and the care and feeding of the animals
- Hands-on environmental educational programming for guests of all ages
- Visitor relations: greeting & checking in visitors and selling merchandise
- Promotion and outreach to local beaches, businesses and shopping areas
What we require:
- Work at least 2 days/week (minimum 14 hrs/wk)
- Undergo a criminal background check
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and able to show proof of vaccination
- Enjoy working with children and have a strong interest in environmental education
- Have a strong interest in maintaining and cleaning aquarium tanks and other equipment as needed
- Interested in or have basic knowledge of small marine animal feeding techniques
- Excellent communication skills required – must be comfortable speaking to and making contact with the general public on Save The Bay’s behalf
- Must be willing and able to work indoors wearing a mask or cloth face covering
- Creative, reliable, and flexible team member
- Prompt arrival for shifts in uniform provided by Save The Bay
If you have a work study award and would like to earn your award through this position, contact the Feinstein Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 401-254-3765.
*Students are prohibited from driving during work-study employment with the limited exception of authorized work-study driver positions.
**Only students who are fully vaccinated are permitted to work on-site. Unvaccinated students will be permitted to only work remotely.