Accessiblity Services FAQ

  1. What types of services are available through Student Accessibility Services (SAS)?

    See Service Model
  2. Do I have to disclose my disability (learning, medical, physical, psychiatric) or AD/HD to the University?

    No. Disclosure is not required. However, academic accommodations or adjustments cannot be provided until disclosure and submission of appropriate documentation occurs.
  3. Are documents pertaining to a learning disability or AD/HD required as part of the admission process?

    No. Students are not required to submit their disability-related documentation with their application for admission. All students with disabilities must meet the same admissions criteria as their non-disabled peers.
  4. When should I submit my documentation and to whom does it go?

    Upon acceptance to the University, students with disabilities (learning, medical, physical, psychiatric) and/or AD/HD who anticipate utilizing academic accommodations, adjustments or auxiliary aids must submit their documentation to Student Accessibility Services, Library 1st floor, Roger Williams University, One Old Ferry Road, Bristol, RI, 02809.
  5. How will I access the academic accommodations specified in my documentation?

    Students will meet with SAS staff to discuss their needs and the accommodations available.  Students must request their accomodations online. For those accommodations that require additional paperwork (Learning Ally Membership, Notetaking, and Priority Registration), students are responsible to visit Student Accessibility Services to fill out the required paperwork.  Any personalized accommodations must be communicated to SAS prior to the start of the semester to allow for planning. Students will notify their faculty of their accommodations at the start of the semester by providing them with the Academic Accommodation Authorization form that will be emailed to the students.  Students may print and hand deliver the Authorization form or forward to a professor's email.  Professors are not required to provide accommodations without the SAS Authorization Form. 
  6. Will my instructors know that I have a learning disability or AD/HD?

    No. A student's status as a person with a documented disability is confidential information that is not shared with any University personnel or outside source without the student's knowledge and permission. A student's status as a person with a documented disability is not indicated on class rosters or in advising dockets.  Faculty are informed that academic accommodations or adjustments must be provided through the Academic Accommodation Authorization form; however, the specifics of the disability are not included on this form.
  7. What accommodations can be provided to a student with a documented learning disability or AD/HD?

    There is no "laundry list" of accommodations that are provided to students with documented learning disabilities or AD/HD. The Learning Specialist evaluates each student's needs based upon the documentation that is submitted. Please note that documentation alone does not guarantee that academic accommodations or adjustments will be deemed reasonable and/or appropriate.
  8. What documentation is required in order to receive academic accommodations or adjustments?

    See Documentation of Disabilities
  9. Where can I learn more about college life for students with disabilities?

    Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education Know Your Rights and Responsibilities (From the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Dept. of Education).

    Collegiate Consortium of Disability Advocates Useful information on laws, transitioning from high school to college, accommodations, rights and responsibilities.

    Tips for Students with Disabilities to Increase College Success Article from the University of Washington.