The purpose of the course is to produce drivers who are knowledgeable, responsible, collision-free and capable of assessing and managing risk while preparing to take the first steps in earning their Rhode Island Drivers license!
In this course, each learner’s understanding of safe and responsible driving will be taught throughout the 33-hour State of Rhode Island approved curriculum. During these classes, learners will be taught high standard safe driving habits and the rules of the road for Rhode Island.
October/November Weekends: 16-17, 23-24, 30-31 & November 6-7, 2021
Sat & Sun 9:00 am to 1:15 pm
November 20-21, 24, 26-27 -- FAST TRACK!
Sat- Sun, Wed & Fri day 8:30 am to 4 pm
Sat. 8:30 am - 2:00 pm (last day of class)
December 18, 27 thru 30 -- FAST TRACK!
Sat - Wed, 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
Fri 8:30 am - 2:00 pm (last day of class)
Course Cost and Details
- Cost: $105 (This does not include Required Materials)
- Classes are 100% Online and Synchronous with the Instructor via Zoom.
- Fees are non-refundable after the start of the program
- Students must purchase the How to Drive eBook Click here to purchase: How to Drive eBook
- Driver's Manual - Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles Download RI Driver's Manual
- Zoom Video Communication (Free Version) Download Zoom
- Internet access, camera, and microphone. Students can use their smartphones or a tablet.
- Proof of Identification: Birth Certificate or Passport uploaded at time of application.
The goal of this course is to prepare novice drivers for the written test provided by Rhode Island’s Department of Motor Vehicles (RI DMV). Upon completion of this UC | RWU course, students must schedule an appointment with the DMV in Cranston to take the written test. Please go to the DMV Website for more information.
Through successful completion of this program, students will be able to…
- Understand Rhode Island licensing laws and the Anatomical Gift Act
- Understand basic Rhode Island traffic laws and consequences of traffic law violation
- Understand the responsibilities of safely sharing the road with others
- Recognize dangerous driving situations and how to avoid them
- Discuss various driving risks and how to assess & manage them
- Recognize the basic vehicle structure/anatomy;
- Understand safe operation, including but not limited to:
- Starting, steering, stopping
- Basic maneuvers
- Identify and discuss different driving conditions and hazards
- Understand how to handle emergency driving situations
A Rhode Island drivers permit can be issued to any Rhode Island resident who is 16 but less than 18 years of age.
You must be at least fifteen (15) years and ten (10) months of age to take a driver education class. Please upload legal proof of identification before the first day of class (i.e.: U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport).
RWU has the right to cancel or postpone a cohort if the minimum number of students (20) is not met.
For more information or questions, please contact:
Allegra Brosco | email@example.com | 401-254-4839