Living at RWU
Last Updated: 1/13/2021
Reopening information related to the spring semester will be posted in full shortly - please check back.
Residence Hall Occupancy
Residence hall room density across campus will be reduced wherever possible with a firm commitment to not use double rooms as triples or single rooms as doubles. Standard capacity triples and quads in traditional corridor style buildings may have reduced capacity and when possible will be converted to study rooms.
To support isolation and quarantine space needs, Residence Life and Housing has committed 70 single-occupancy units with private bathrooms and will be delivered as needed.
Frequent community walkthroughs of floors by Resident Assistants and Community Directors will ensure that capacity and social distancing guidelines in common area spaces are being maintained.
The University will designate existing staff for enhanced training and responsibility for sanitizing standards for all residence areas and require documentation of completion of daily cleaning assignments. Evaluation and continual feedback to custodial staff will be provided by managers in Residence Life and Housing, and Facilities.
RA Training and Procedures
Residence Life and Housing will create additional training, guidelines, and expectations for Resident Assistants on how to perform their responsibilities safely, effectively and appropriately during the pandemic and staff will document all cleaning activities daily. Some of these expectations include, but are not limited to:
- Community Meetings will be facilitated via Zoom and recorded for students to view on their own.
- Residence Life and Housing is researching alternate methods of providing community-wide educational/ developmental opportunities. Initial plans include virtual engagement and requiring residents to sign up for in-person programs in advance by limiting the reservations based on community/event spacing capacity.
- RAs will facilitate intentional conversations on How to Live During a Pandemic virtually via Zoom, Google Chat, or similar platform.
Health and Safety Inspections will be conducted in a manner that reduces exposure for staff and students. The department is developing self-assessments/quizzes for students to take regarding health and safety policies.
Cleaning and Social Distancing Protocols
Residence Life and Housing will collaborate with Facilities Management to incorporate CDC and RI DOH state guidelines in some of the following ways:
- Develop/enhance rubrics and expectations for custodial staff cleaning procedures accompanied by training modules.
- Identify ways to increase social distancing within community bathrooms, i.e. if there are three sinks in a bathroom, turning off the water to the middle sink so that there is distance between two students. Sink and stall assignments are also under consideration.
- Establish common area and bathroom capacities in support of social distancing practices.
- Residence Life and Housing will fully develop a building breakdown of common areas for internal use for staffing needs, and post cleaning expectations and occupancy capacities for these spaces within every residential community.
- Residence Life and Housing will include a resource list of CDC approved cleaning agents in the packing lists for students and families.
No Guest Policy
Residence Life and Housing will implement a “no outside guest” policy for the 2020-21 academic year, and will investigate, in collaboration with the Vice President of Student Life, Inter-Residence Hall Association, and Student Senate, additional limitations on inter-visitation of residents between different residence areas.
The Mailroom has implemented a zero contact mail delivery system for all University departments, and implemented one-directional travel through the area, with 6-foot space markers on floors. Additionally, the mailroom uses a schedule or text system, whenever possible, for mail and package pick-up for both students and departments, to avoid long waiting lines.
Reopening Roger | Covid-19 Pledge | Health & Safety Protocols | Screen, Test and Trace | Learning | Working | Dining | Living | Athletics and Fitness | Meetings and Events | Shuttle Service | FAQ | Report Noncompliance | Updates