The annual Convocation ceremony is a traditional gathering of learners that celebrates and marks a student's entry into the Roger Williams University community. Full of tradition, it provides a formal welcoming to the University just as the Commencement ceremony provides a closing.
Faculty process into the tent in full academic regalia and students don academic robes as a symbol of their entering our academic community. New students and their families are greeted by the University President, Provost , Faculty Senate President and Student Senate President, among others. During the ceremony, each of the schools' deans welcome new students into their academic community.. Lastly, new students take the Academic Integrity Pledge in the presence of family members, fellow students and the University staff and faculty.
Family and friends of new RWU students who can't be on campus for New Student Convocation, are invited to share in the celebration by watching at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rwu-convocation-channel
Date: Saturday, August 26, 2017
Time: The student procession begins at 12:45 PM from the south end of campus as students exit their residence halls. Commuter students should assemble on the Cedar Basketball Court at 12:45pm so they can join the procession to the Campus Recreation Center. The full ceremonial procession begins at 1:40 PM from the Campus Recreation Center with the ceremony beginning at 2:30 PM.
Location: Tent on Athletic Field directly behind the Campus Recreation Center
Parking:Refer to the Convocation Parking Map
Watch it online: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rwu-convocation-channel
For Closed Captioning: http://www.streamtext.net/player?event=RWU
Date and Time: Saturday August 26, 2017, 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Who: RWU Students eat for free. Parents and family members are able to purchase tickets in advance for the convocation lunch under the tent behind the recreation center. Purchase tickets for convocation lunch.
Details for Convocation
- At approximately 1:00pm, bagpipers will pass the residence halls signaling the beginning of the student procession to the Campus Recreation Center. Students fall in line behind the bagpipers. Commuter students will assemble on the Cedar Basketball Court at 12:45pm.
- Upon arrival at the Campus Recreation Center Fieldhouse, staff will help students with their robes and direct them accordingly.
- Once students are lined up, the student procession will exit the Fieldhouse and proceed to the tent behind the Campus Recreation Center.
- Family and friends of new students are encouraged to attend. Seating for guests will open at 1:00 pm; all guests should be seated by 1:10pm as the student procession will enter at approximately 1:15pm.
- Once the ceremony has begun various speakers will address the new students and guests and students will be welcomed by their respective school’s dean. They will don robes to signify their entry into the academic community and they will take the Academic Integrity Pledge.
- When the ceremony officially closes, students will process out of the tent and back into the Campus Recreation Center Fieldhouse. Immediately following the ceremony, students and families are encouraged to say their goodbyes so the students may get to their next scheduled activity. We encourage families to determine a meeting place after the ceremony somewhere in the vicinity of the front of the Campus Recreation Center and The Commons.
- Guests needing accommodations for hearing, mobility or other disabilities should contact the Dean of Student’s Office by August 9.
For more information regarding the Convocation ceremony, please contact the Dean of Student’s Office 401-254-3042.