Placing Materials on Reserve
Faculty may place materials on reserve for student use at the Information Desk. Materials may be items owned by the RWU libraries or personal copies. Students can then check out reserve items for a 3 hour period or 1,3, or 7 day loan period. All photocopied materials must meet the requirements of U.S. Copyright law and the Roger Williams University course reserves copyright policy.
No more than 1 article from a single issue without copyright permission from the copyright holder.
No more than 1 chapter from a book without copyright permission from the copyright holder.
All books can be placed on paper course reserves
Faculty can place a personal copy of the original journal on paper course reserves but photocopies of entire issues cannot be placed on course reserves without copyright permission(s) from the copyright holder(s).
All media can be placed on course reserves.
Faculty's personal copies of books and articles can also be placed on course reserves. Copyright restrictions continue to apply. The library is not responsible for items lost or damaged by student borrowers.
Submit a form each semester you are teaching, even if you taught the course(s) the previous semester. (If we do not receive, a form we will remove the item(s) from course reserves.)
- Photocopied articles must state the journal title, article title, volume/issue numbers, and publication date
- Photocopied book chapters must state the book title, author, publisher, and publication date
- We cannot accept compilations of articles or chapters in the same binder or folder
- Course packets can only be placed on reserves if copyright permission has been obtained
- Library will not generally make copies because of limited resources. Please provide photocopies when required.
The library places these requirements on course reserves in order to be in full compliance of "fair use" guidelines for photocopied items. We also have limited shelf space.
Access Services Staff will contact you when the course reserves are available.
If you have any questions feel free to contact us at 401-254-3316 or 401-254-3375.