Financial Aid

Federal Financial Aid is available to graduate students who are U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents only.

How do I apply for federal financial aid?

Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the Federal Processor after January 1stthrough the online application at The Roger Williams University Title IV code is 003410.

You are required to complete a FAFSA form each year you want to apply for financial aid. You may also need to provide the Financial Aid Office with a copy of your previous year’s tax return including all schedules if requested to do so. All graduate students are considered to be of independent status, therefore, parents’ financial information is not considered when determining eligibility for federal student aid.  Students must have completed and submitted the online FAFSA to be considered for financial aid (student loans).

Students who are taking less than six credits per semester and students who are not fully matriculated in a full degree program are not eligible for federal student loans.

What are student loans?

Student loan programs provide the majority of funding for graduate students. There are two types of loans that allow you to borrow up to your cost attendance.  Stafford Loans enter repayment six months after graduation.   A grace period is available for Graduate Plus Loans, but students must request these from their lender. Students must be taking six credits per semester to qualify for these loans.

  • The FFEL (Federal Family Education Loan) Stafford and Graduate Plus Loan Programs provide students with attractive, low interest loans. A graduate student is eligible for $20,500 annually in Stafford Loan funds. Students must submit a FAFSA to determine eligibility.
  • The Federal Graduate Plus Loan Program allows students to borrow up to the full cost of attendance once they have exhausted their Stafford Loan annual limit. This loan program was instituted in July, 2006. Students must have a satisfactory credit history to qualify for this loan.  Students must also submit a FAFSA for this loan.

What happens after I submit all my documents?

The Financial Aid Office will send you an award outlining all the loans you are eligible to apply for, as well as directions on how to apply.  A list of lenders will also be included in the package.  Students are encouraged to read all the directions very carefully and to contact Financial Aid with questions.

Who can I contact with questions about financial aid?

Architecture, Historic Preservation, & Art and Architectural History: Students in the graduate programs in Architecture, Historic Preservation, and Art and Architectural History should contact the Office of Financial Aid at (401) 254-3100 or

All Other Programs: Students in all other graduate programs should contact the Office of Graduate Financial Aid at (401) 254-4510 or