Student clubs within the Construction Management (CM) program at RWU are a great way to get involved.
Main goals of these clubs are to provide professionalism and a common ground for student development, and allow students to build life-long relationships with eachother, the CM program and the construction industry. Below is a list of clubs affiliated with our construction management program:
Construction Management (CM) ClubClick to Open
The RWU CM Club exists to enhance the experience for CM Students and construction/building industry enthusiasts. The club provides students opportunities to strengthen their bond with classmates & faculty, to learn beyond the classroom, to augment their passion for their major/discipline and their university, and to gain valuable networking and career opportunities. In other words, our goal is to enhance the RWU CM Student's experience throughout their four years here at RWU.
- Is open to all CM students
- Provides opportunities and resources for students planning to pursue careers in the construction industry and related fields
- Arranges guest speakers from the construction industry to speak on topics of interest
- Is an umbrella for student chapters of the following organizations:
- ASC Student Competition
Current CM Club Executive Board
President: Robert Melly
Vice President: Joshua Swanson
Treasurer: Tyler Casper
Secretary: Elizabeth Anthes
Sigma Lamda Chi (SLC) International Construction Honor SocietyClick to Open
The fundamental purpose of Sigma Lambda Chi is to provide recognition to outstanding students in construction curricula. Sigma Lambda Chi is the society that offers students the opportunity to be recognized locally and internationally for their academic accomplishments as a construction major.
Membership is by invitation, and candidates must have:
- completed the equivalent of three years of study toward the CM degree
- obtained an overall GPA that is within the top 20% of the CM program
- participated in one or more extracurricular activities
- demonstrated leadership, character and personality traits that give promise of reflecting credit upon Sigma Lambda Chi
- received an affirmative vote by secret ballot of three-fourths of the chapter's active members
Current SLC Student Members
- Anthes, Elizabeth C.
- Core, Anthony E.
- Hand, Emily E.
- Orlando, Michael (President)
- Sleight, Richard G. (Vice-President)
US Green Building Council (USGBC) Student GroupClick to Open
The purpose of the U.S. Green Building Council (“USGBC”) Student Group at Roger Williams University is:
- To foster scientific study and research in the field of environmentally sustainable building and operation of buildings;
- To develop and disseminate knowledge in sustainable building research and design;
- To improve the methods and design of sustainable buildings;
- To develop better public understanding and appreciation of the challenges and solutions posed by improved sustainable building practices and the sustainable operation of existing buildings.
- To promote understanding, adoption and use of environmentally sustainable design, construction, and building operation practices across the Roger Williams University community.
- To cultivate leadership skills among USGBC Students group members that will prepare them to champion sustainability on campus, in their community and in future careers.
The club is open to all RWU students who show an interest and passion for sustainability in the built environment.
Current USGBC Student Group Executive Board
President: George Peabody
Vice President: Alexander Gabriele
Associated General Contractors of America (AGC) Student ChapterClick to Open
The chapter is a non-profit organization, organized and existing under and by virtue of a charter granted be the National Associated General Contractors of America through sponsoring AGC of Rhode Island. The purpose of the AGC Student Chapter is:
- To establish an organization that is dedicated to the advancement of student interest in construction.
- To provide the student members with the opportunity of attending seminars presented by representatives from the construction industry.
- To strengthen the relationship between this institution of education and the industry of construction.
- To offer assistance to student members interested in pursuing employment in the industry of construction through correspondence with prospective employers.
Current AGC Student Chapter Executive Board
President: Sarah Curry
Vice President: Nicholas Morrison
Treasurer: Matthew Kasoff
Secretary: Christina Ryan
Women in ConstructionClick to Open
The purpose of the group is to encourage and support female students in construction or management related majors to become leaders in a predominantly male industry. Through 2 lectures per semester, the students are given the opportunity to hear and learn from industry professionals. The students have the opportunity through these lectures to ask industry professionals questions on that topic. These lectures also help students to interact with industry professionals allowing for a possibility of future employment.
Membership is open to all RWU Students.
Current Women in Construction Executive Board
President: Sarah Curry
Vice President: Christina Ryan
Treasurer: Lauren Donovan
Secretary: Isabelle Clarke