2010 - 2019
Executive Leadership Series:
Rhode Island Interlocal Risk Management Trust
The Leadership Institute annually collaborates with The Rhode Island Interlocal Risk Management Trust to provide executive leadership education to its member municipal employees across the state. The "Managers as Leaders Educational Program" provides information and the practical application of skills needed for managers to become exceptional leaders in public service. The Program fosters the participants' critical thinking and creative problem solving abilities. The ultimate goal is to assist supervisors with their professional development to the extent that they became leaders within their department, organization and the community at large. The Series is offered every spring.
- "I got a lot out of this to help me be a better supervisor and a better co-worker."
- "This course has made me look deeper into my own managing style and help make me aware of areas that I need to improve my skills.”
- “It has given me strength and courage and the confidence to try and implement change and the insight to look within myself to do better.”
Dealing With Difficult People: De-Escalating Volatile Situations
Everyone experiences conflict. Conversations can diffuse highly volatile situations but they can also fuel the fire of others and create genuinely hazardous work environments that may even lead to violent behavior.
The Leadership Institute collaborated with The Rhode Island Interlocal Risk Management Trust to deliver a highly interactive seminar on how to deal with conflict in the workplace through effective communication techniques, problem solving strategies and stress management.
All Leadership Institute seminars are highly interactive. Through discussion and small group experiences, participants have several opportunities to apply the material to the real life scenarios with which they must contend. This interactive design fosters critical thinking, aids in the retention of course material, and brings theoretical concepts to life. This format consistently receives the highest positive response from Leadership Institute participants, as evidenced by the attendee’s comments from our most recent seminar.
- “Very engaging, interactive, and humorous. We were kept moving along and were never bored.”
- “The presenters were very dynamic and the information was extremely relevant.”
- “The instructors were knowledgeable, prepared, and captivating.”
To arrange a course offering for your organization, contact the RWU Leadership Institute Director, Dr. Grota at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (401) 254-3092.
MEPI Student Leaders Institute
The Leadership Institute collaborated with the Spiegel Center for Global and International Programs to provide the MEPI Civic Engagement Leadership Institute.
MEPI (the United States Middle East Partnership Initiative) is an initiative of the United States Department of State whose goal is to educate and empower emerging student leaders. Roger Williams University has hosted a total of 110 students during the six-week programs from countries such as Lebanon, Morocco, Israel, Tunisia, Jordan, Libya, Kuwait, Egypt, Bahrain and Iraq. The Leadership Institute provides theoretical and applied education modules in proven leadership practices, civil society, civic engagement and human rights. Participants explore a range of approaches to solving community problems to determine the best practices applicable to their home country. The ultimate learning outcome for students is to present a positive social change community project to be implemented in the student's home country upon their return.
The Leadership Institute was happy to participate in a one-day workshop on leadership in collaboration with The Association of College and Research Libraries, New England Chapter. The customized, interactive education session allowed participants to focus on their level of transactional and transformational leadership tendencies and develop an action plan to enhance desired aspects. Participants explored communication strategies and practiced those skills.
Librarian Leadership participant comments:
- "I was so impressed with the depth of the presentations and I learned so many important things and met wonderful people...thank you again for the fantastic program.”
- “The day was really valuable for the information it provided, as well as the opportunity to meet colleagues from around New England who are interested in developing leadership skills. I also thought your afternoon four corners exercise which got us up and active after lunch was brilliant. Great idea!”
The Leadership Institute
Guest Lecture Series
The Leadership Institute brings highly accomplished and brilliant individuals to campus to share their perspectives on leadership. In the past our guest speakers have been:
Founder and Chief Catalyst
Business Innovation Factory
President and Chief Operating Officer
The Travelers Companies, Inc.
David C. Wajsgras
Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Mark Mandell, Esq.
Mandell Schwartz & Boisclair