Skip to Content

F-1 international students are eligible to work on campus in any position you may have in your office. They may work 20 hours a week while school is in session and 40 hours a week during breaks. At no time are F-1 students allowed to work off campus without special work permission.

F-1 students are not eligible to apply for Social Security Numbers until they have secured a job or job offer. A student will be able to begin working for you as soon as he or she has applied for a s Social Security Number. He or she does not actually need the number to begin working and getting paid. When filling out form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification), W-2, or any other form that requires a Social Security Number, you must put “applied for” if the student has not yet received his or her card. For more information go to

F-1 students working on-campus must secure a letter from their employer to be used to apply for the Social Security Number. Please contact the Intercultural Center for a sample employer letter.

F-1 students may get special authorization to work off-campus in certain situations. Their employment eligibility can be verified on page 2 of their I-20 and/or an Employment Authorization (EAD) card.