The CPC is a centralized home to an array of RWU resources. These resources come from within RWU’s liberal arts and professional degree programs, as well as from strong relationships with external organizations. Through the CPC, these resources are organized and made available to a wide spectrum of nonprofit, municipal and community groups to carry out projects throughout Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts.
The CPC provides RWU students at the undergraduate and graduate levels with meaningful, project-based educational experiences which address real community needs through coursework, team projects, graduate assistantships, work study positions, internships and volunteer experiences. These projects provide real world experience that is integrated with their growth as scholars and future practitioners.
The CPC provides communities with valuable services through its work with client organizations, government agencies and community organizations as they seek to achieve their missions.
The goals of the RWU CPC are to:
1. Provide a standardized system for soliciting appropriate projects with qualified community partners and efficiently synthesizing those projects with RWU’s academic programs.
2. Provide well organized and educationally valid real world experience for undergraduate and graduate students during the appropriate phases of their academic careers at RWU.
3. Provide trans-disciplinary opportunities for faculty/student collaboration on project-based activities, linking the classroom with the community.
4. Provide multi-disciplinary assistance to communities and organizations on real projects that improve the economic, social and physical environments.
5. Create and maintain strong, functional, long-term relationships with community and government partners (such as the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation) to effectively engage RWU in affordable, collaborative activities which benefit the citizens of the state and region.